Barrel Life

kiddekop

Beginner
Apr 4, 2006
In the late 1970's I & a few friends shot a garand qualification match at the High Desert Rod & Gun Club Range in Yucca Valley,CA.We were shooting at 600 yard simulator targets from 100 yards standing ,kneeling or sitting & prone both in slow & rapid fire.We watched an elderly shooter fire all of his rounds in the bull but then we noticed his shooting coat 1950 & 1951 USA National High Power Rifle Champion (some of the simulator bulls were the size of a dime).We asked him about his rifle ,he told us it was a 1903 Springfield that he had fired in excess of 50,000 rounds thru in practise & competition he further explained the barrel only had about 6 inches of rifling left near the muzzle,he out shot every competitor on the firing line including a former olympic champion.

I guess it possible. I shot out the barrel of a 30-06 (approx 6K rounds) and my accuracy was around 2.5" at 100 yds.

JD338

Do what you want - I replace my .308 Win barrels when the accuracy starts to go bad at around 4,000 - 5,000 rounds.

Somehow, I really like rifling all the way down the tube! :grin:

Regards, Guy

kiddekop,

Did you get to see inside his barrel? As a competitor as well I can say that we kid around. Some of the banter is misleading.

Pop,
according to your experience how long can be the extimated life (number of rounds)of a barrel in 300 h&h?
ciao,
paolo

If taken good care of, (cleaned and not fired when barrel is HOT) a lifetime for me or thousands of rounds.

Thanks Pop.
I agree with you. As a matter of fact mine (lothar walther) passed this limit of 1.000 and is still very accurate, but I clean it always after 35/40 rounds.
paolo

Paolo:

Io sono greek

so

una corsa una faccia

Am I right?

I know that I am out of topic but...
Pop did you hunt with 300 h&h? I load this one in my dakota with 200 gr AccuBond on 67 gr of n 560, fed gm 215.
Accurate and deadly. I shot several wild boars, red deer and bears with it.
All of them remained on the place. not even with my 300 win I obtained the same result! In my opinion it's the all round rifle in old europe.
paolo

I have hunted and killed game with about every 300 mag except the H&H.... that said I do have a lot of respect for the old magnum 8)

That old, gently tapered .300 H&H case is almost a thing of beauty.

Why then do I have this doggone short and fat .300 WSM???? :evil:

I have both the 300 H&H and two WSM's. The 300 can't even headspace on its meager 8 degree shoulder after fireforming and therefore it has poor case life.

The WSM's are a much better design and fit in smaller rifles also. I like that too.

in my hornady reloading manual, it says the 7mm rum is realllly hard on barrels, anybody have an idea on how long the barrel would last?

Back