barrel lockup on TC COntender is loose!

onlybrowning

Beginner
Sep 16, 2007
I just recieved a new TC 6.8 spc barrel and it does not lockup tight when open or closed. I can feel a wobble to the setup? What do I do? Is it safe to shoot? Will there be accuracy issues? The barrel is NEW! :x

onlybrowning,

That does not sound like a sound action lock up and would not shoot it until this is resolved.
I do not know too much about the T/C's but I'm guessing you need a new "over sized hinge pin". I remember seeing a web page somewhere that had the over sized pin and it was for the condition you described. I'm not 100% on this so don't quote me.
Contact T/C directly on this. I'm sure one of the others here that are more versed with T/C will jump in and offer some help.

Let us know what T/C has to say.

JD338

I just talked to a guy on specialty pistols website, and he says it is most likely that the frame is worn out were the locking lugs on the barrel go under. It is a shelf, and when it becomes rounded, the barrel will not lock up tight. I thought it was the hinge pin as well, but he thinks not. I am calling TC now.

onlybrowning

How old is the frame and how much use has it seen?
Is the barrel T/C?

FWIW, the man who turned me on to the Contender told me that when you close the action, you should snap it closed to ensure a positive lock up. Maybe that will make a difference.

JD338

onlybrowning":3b97c4qf said:
I had a hard time getting a hold of someone at TC. This stinks.

T/Cs customer service department is the worst in the industry. You can regularely get women who answer the phone and give you misleading or totally incorrect information. Why T/C allows untrained people to give out firearm related info is beyond me.

If that isn't bad enough, you may not get anyone at all except the answering machine (during regular business hours). The machine tells you to leave your number and that they will get back to you. I left my number several times and never even got a return call. Unbelievable!

I like T/C's guns but since S&W took them over the customer service department went into the tank. What a shame. :?

I'm shipping it to TC today. I will let you guys know how I make out. Thanks for everything. Oh and by the way, I did get a lady on the phone that just said "oh" adn "wow" when I told her the issue. She also said "You should send it in so a tech can look at it. "

onlybrowning

Let us know what T/C has to say and how they take care of the issue.

JD338

onlybrowning":1335898c said:
I just recieved a new TC 6.8 spc barrel and it does not lockup tight when open or closed. I can feel a wobble to the setup? What do I do? Is it safe to shoot? Will there be accuracy issues? The barrel is NEW! :x

How was the lock-up with the original barrel?

Back