Battle of the 200 grn Round Noses

M1Garand

Beginner
Dec 5, 2004
I managed to score some 200 grain Winchester Power Points. Since I have several 35 calibers I could use them in, I figured I'd test the round noses I have in water jugs, then maybe some dry magazine or newsprint if I can get enough. Hopefully I can put them in some jugs within the next week. I'll use my 358 Win around 2450-2500 fps.

From left to right:
Hornady Interlock, Sierra Pro Hunter, Remington Core Lokt and Winchester Powerpoint

yTYxAcdl.jpg

VgTJaYEl.jpg

Excellent. I've shot a couple of the Remington 200 gr SPCL bullets from my 35 Whelen into the jugs and they held together. Looking forward to seeing your results.

JD338

Should be a most interesting test. Looking forward to your resuts.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your test also. I have some factory Winchester 35 Rem that I haven't shot yet. Dan.

I was able to run out with some water jugs today and shoot them. I kinda screwed up a little and put the jugs at about 15 feet when I should have put them at 25 yards or so. The impact and hydro power of the first jug exploding not only put on a show, but it broke the board the jugs were on and also one of the plastic saw horses. I had to put others on the ground and lie prone. The plus side is I think it really put a lot more stress on these bullets that were in the neighborhood of 2450-2500 fps. This close I think definitely affected penetration, especially on the Sierra.

The first shot was the Sierra Pro Hunter. It penetrated 3 jugs and broke the 4th. The core and jacket were in the jug, though not together. Recovery weight was 158.6 grains combined. It penetrated the least but opened the widest. This is a very accurate bullet but appears to be the softest of them all.

The second was the Hornady Interlock. Pieces of lead were in the third jug, and the bullet was in the fourth. The core and jacket were together. After I took a picture, I tried to pull it apart and could not. Recovery weight was 143.8 grains. Add in the pieces and total recovery was 179.0.

Third was the Remington Core Lokt. It was also recovered in the fourth jug. I did not see any pieces of lead anywhere and it was in one piece. Recovery weight was 163.3 grains.

Fourth was the Winchester Powerpoint. Unfortunately did not recover this one and was out of jugs. It broke out the back of the fourth jug and put a small hole in the fifth jug. I looked around on the ground but could not find it so I'll have to get some more jugs ASAP and try and get one. I saw some very small lead pieces in the fourth jug, nothing like the Hornady so I've no doubt it was in one piece and did not appear to be any type of core separation.

b32g1VJl.jpg

HgfHqgUl.jpg

ojejUCNl.jpg

AWESOME shooting. Thank you for taking the time to post them up. I’ve used the Remington a bunch and man, it’s been a good one.

Any of those are buck/bear stoppers.

Appears that any one will perform very well on deer and black bear at reasonable ranges. That does put a lot of stress on the bullet, and they appear to have held up quite well. The shock delivered at that close range must surely have been something to see. Now just imagine the shock on a moose or an elk at that close range.

SJB358":y0d6yzhz said:
AWESOME shooting. Thank you for taking the time to post them up. I’ve used the Remington a bunch and man, it’s been a good one.

Any of those are buck/bear stoppers.
It's easy to see why the 35 caliber Core Lokts have such a good reputation. Years ago I bought a bunch of the SP version as well. I found one in the gravel behind the target one time and it was in one piece as well and very similar to the RN here. Very tough bullet.

DrMike":y0d6yzhz said:
Appears that any one will perform very well on deer and black bear at reasonable ranges. That does put a lot of stress on the bullet, and they appear to have held up quite well. The shock delivered at that close range must surely have been something to see. Now just imagine the shock on a moose or an elk at that close range.
I thought so too. Even though the Sierra was in two pieces it was in the same jug. It was impressive...either the water or force of the board (albeit particle board) broke the middle shelf of the saw horse. Even thought it's plastic, it had to take a lot of force to break it. I just wish I could've found that Powerpoint. I believe it was the only one that broke the fifth jug.

The Remington 200 gr SPCL is a great bullet.

JD338

JD338.

They are a great bullet, about the only negative I would say is their accuracy isn't up to par with the Hornady or Sierra. But it's a hunting bullet and it's easily MOD (minute of deer). The sad thing is I don't think I've seen them for sale in at least 5 years, maybe more. I compared the SP I found in the gravel to the RN version, weight is 143.6 grains.

qaYghiKl.jpg

8vVwglRl.jpg

Thank you for sharing, although I shoot 200 ttsx in my 35 whelen

Interesting test and results. Have used the Rem CL in my 35 Rem and it's a proven performer. Nice to see how the others compare against it. Be looking for the Winchester results as it sounds good as well. Dan.

I finally got enough jugs and some time to try and catch the Winchester Powerpoint. I shot it at around 15-20 feet and caught it in the fourth jug. It was all in one piece and the core was firmly attached to the jacket. Recovered weight was 157.9 grains. Two small lead pieces were with it (lost the smaller one after I weighed them) and with those was 162.7 grains.

xXYOtxJl.jpg

5cwkAdLl.jpg

And all four compared together, from L to R: Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady Interlock, Winchester Powerpoint and the Remington Core Lokt.

0SsCDi8l.jpg

KTbqMGkl.jpg

I should imagine that any of those bullets will do the job they were designed to do. Good work that will encourage many people.

Great representation on what these bullets would do on a bear raiding your camp in the middle of the night!
Would be nice to see these in the jugs at 100 yards as a comparison.

While I have using the Speer 220 gr FP all these years in my BLR in 358 Win, at a slower velocity in its 20" barrel (2209 fps), it sure has done its job in putting game in the freezer.

What more can anyone ask?

I’m bumping an old thread and M1 will have to forgive me. Cool test and it inspires a bit of confidence in the somewhat light for caliber cup and core bullets. I listen to Hal Bloods pod cast and those guys over in Maine have nothing but good things to say about the plain old green box 200 grain core lokt loads in the 35 Whelen on moose. I would have a tendency to think of it as a good deer load but given the real world results from those who use it, I guess I’m under estimating it a bit. JD and I will have to jug one of my 250 grain Speer hot cor‘s running at full steam one of these days and post it.

Back