Bell and Carlson Medalist Stock

MattStevens

Beginner
Feb 23, 2005
I ordered a Bell and Carlson Medalist Stock to replace the highly gorgeous Mark V stock that's on my Weatherby Vanguard VGX Deluxe, (just too pretty to use really hard in the woods). I have used it, but I'm always sacraficing my own skin to protect the stock. The gun is in 7mm Rem Mag. It shoots very well now.

What I'm wondering is this. The Mark V stock has two pressure points, to which the barrel rests. So does the Bell and Carlson. Has anybody made this switch? If so, how were your bullet groupings affected. My concern is I will have to work-up all my 7mm loads again. I hope not, but was wondering if anybody has made this exchange with a rifle that utilizes pressure points in the barrel bedding.

Thanks for the help.

I don't have a Weatherby but if I understand your question there are 2 points of contact with the barrel at the end of your forearm in your stock right? Any change in the amount of pressure placed against your barrel could alter your accuracy and point of impact. On my FN Browning I had a B/C stock installed and bedded and it took 200 rounds shot through it before the rifle "settled" in. I've taken my action off my PSS and re-torque the mounting screws, and sometimes it changed slightly and sometimes not. The only way to know for sure is to change out the stock and shoot it.

Thank you very much for the information. Gosh, I sure hope I don't have to fire 200 rounds to settle the gun into the stock, but if I have to, I have to. I'm also switching out my model 70, 338 Win Mag this coming Tuesday when it arrives. For the 338 I got an H&S Precision. I have my fingers crossed. Thank you.

Matt

Your welcome, glad to help out. Good luck with your H&S stock. I'll be checking in from time to time so let me know how it turns out.

Here's the update, I received the HS Precision aluminum bedded stock last week. I used a small amount of bedding compound provided by HS Precision. Bottom line, this is the first time my 338 Win Mag/Mod 70 has consistently shot Sub 1"MOA at 200 yards. I am extremely pleased with the stock. Midway had them on sale and I got a good price as well.

I'm still waiting on the Bell and Carlson Medalist for the 7mm. I only hope the transitions goes as well.

Good Shooting

Matt, I too am wanting to replace my walnut stock on my Weatherby Vanguard sporter with a Bell and Carson Medalist stock. I had some conflicting information about the bedding. I have narrowed my choices down to either the Weatherby Acuguard stock(full length bedding aluminum bedding block) or the Bell and Carlson Medalist. I know that the Weatherby Acuguard stock in manufactured by Bell and Carlson. The gengleman I spoke with in the Weatherby custom shop said that the acuguard stock had forend pressure points in the barrel channel, just as the factory stocks do. I also contacted Bell and Carlson to find out about the medalist stock bedding. The lady I spoke with said that all of their stocks were free-floated. I can get the medalist from midwayusa for 229.95 + shipping. The Weatherby Acuguard stock is 275 shipping included. Haven't decided which one to go with, but these stocks appear to be very similar. I am wanting the tan with black spider web. Just what information I have been able to find out. Does anyone have any experience with either of these stocks? Thanks in advance.

I believe the name of the lady who answers the phone at Bell and Carlson is Sandy. She is very helpful, but she is not a tech. I was told by one of their tech guys that the Medalist for the Vangard/Weatherby has the factory spec pressure points. I too have ordered the tan with black spider web. It will be to my door step on Monday. I will let you know about the pressure points. The following Monday, I will be at the range with it. I will completely fill you in then.

I'm thinking I may put a skin thin layer of bedding compound in the tang area and the recoil block area. H&S Precision recommends this and supplies the compound with their aluminum bedded stocks. I will check the fit first.

I will let you know,

Matt

Wow sounds great Matt. I'll be interested to see how the Bell & Carlson shoots in your 7MM. Glad to here the H&S Precision stock work out. Please keep me informed. BTW good info waterboy411

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the information. I'll be looking forward to hearing about the bedding of the stock, as well as the fit and pressure points(or the lack thereof). I also would like to add that if you haven't already installed a Timney trigger in you rifle, you should give it a close look. I installed one last week in my vanguard sporter, and my trigger pull went from 5.5 to 6 lbs, rough with some creep, to 2 to 2 1/4 lbs with a very crisp letoff. No creep whatsoever. This is direct from the box, as I didn't make any adjustments at all to the new trigger. The Timney also has a 3 position safety instead of the factory 2 position. Rearmost position is bolt and sear locked, middle position is sear only locked-can open and cycle action, fulled forward is Fire. Great product, and no, I don't work for them. I just thought someone might be interested.

Where did you get the Timney trigger? I don't really need a lighter trigger. Shoot, in fact, last season I scrambled about a hundred yards up a hill side after spotting a moderate three point buck while driving from point A to point B. I spotted the deer standing in a thick stand of scrub oak and pine. I raised the rifle to see if it was the same deer with horns, of course. I saw it was and started bringing the cross hairs down onto him. Just then, due to a combination of breathing really hard and gloves, I pulled the trigger before I got him into my sights. One leap and he disappeared into the pine. Yep, it's true.

On the other hand, I would really like a safety that is three position like my Model 70.

Matt

I will be getting that stock when I get home from work today.

Waterboy,

Here's the update. The Bell and Carlson Medalist stock does have two pressure points, just as the factory stock does. It looks great and everything fit very well. This commng Monday I'll let you know how it shoots.

I am very interested in the Timney Trigger now that you have mentioned it. I have now looked it up in Brownells, so I know where to get one. What about the installation? Was it a drop in, or did you have to modify the stock at all. I am very interested.

Matt

Matt, first, I want to say thanks for the update on the Bell and Carlson medalist stock. That eases my mind if I do decide to replace the stock on my vanguard. Second, the Timney was a drop-in fit. Just remove the 1 screw that fastens the factory trigger to the action. Remove factory trigger, install Timney, and reinstall the retaining screw. The only problem I ran into was that the safety wouldn't clear the stock enough to allow it to move fully forward to the fire position. This was down inside the stock, in front of the trigger. Wheather or not you would have this problem with the Bell and Carlson stock, I don't know. BTW, I bought my Timney from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Great company to deal with, and a much cheaper price than Brownells. $66 and some change plus shipping, which is very reasonable. I buy most, if not all of my shooting supplies from them. Never had any problems with their service whatsoever.

Did you sand out some of the stock to accomodate the forward firing position? How much did you remove. How does the finished job look? I going to look for the Mid South Shooter Supply web site.

Matt

Matt, I used a pocket knife to cut a notch in the stock. The lower part of the safety is what caused the problem, located on the right hand side of the trigger housing. The cut I made was about 3/8" wide, and about 1/4" deep, near the rear bedding surface of the stock. It really doesn't look too good, and I'm sure you could do a neater job with a dremel tool, but I didn't have one. No one will see it anyway, so I wasn't too worried about it. Your new B&C stock may or may not have any clearence problems. You'll just have to try one and see. BTW, in case you were wondering, the trigger face is smooth on the Timney, not grooved like the stock trigger. I prefer a smooth trigger myself, but to each his own. Later. Howard.

Howard- Based on your thoughts, I bought the Timney from your recommended dealer. You're right about the price. I couldn't find a better deal anywhere, let alone somebody that had the part in stock. I hope they're quick with the shipping. I'm sure it won't be here by Monday, which is the day I go to the range and check the stock for accuracy. It if shoots well, the instalation of the Timney should not affect the accuracy, (I hope). I appreciate your information. I called Weatherby about the creep in my trigger. Basically, Weatherby stated the the creep was most likely there to stay.

I will let you know how the rifle shoots with this new stock Monday afternoon. Just to share a thought with you, my rifle is a VGX Deluxe made in 1989. It has the high gloss Mark V finish. I believe the rifle would have been more pleasing to the eye with a grey with black spider web, or even black with grey spider web, but I have the tan now so I'm sticking with it. If you care to see a photo of the rifle with the stock, let me know and I will e. mail you a photo.

Matt

Back