Weatherby Mark V Special Synthetic .300 Win Mag

HAWKEYESATX":40becfxx said:
Hey Scotty!

I was wondering what you might think of using 212 gr ELD-X bullets for a .300 Win Mag?

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Great question, I think it’d be okay. I think the AccuBond would be better on a closer range impact on an elk. I can only speak to what I saw, and with a modest start, the 212 was excellent.

I would be looking at a tougher 200 gr bullet like the AccuBond, Partition Woodleigh etc for closer range myself and maybe a second more specialized load for practice and long range hunting like the Hornady bullets you mention or maybe something different like a 200 gr Sierra BT. Maybe some bullet tests are in your future? ;)

SJB358":3frt2acg said:
HAWKEYESATX":3frt2acg said:
Hey Scotty!

I was wondering what you might think of using 212 gr ELD-X bullets for a .300 Win Mag?

Hawk

Great question, I think it’d be okay. I think the AccuBond would be better on a closer range impact on an elk. I can only speak to what I saw, and with a modest start, the 212 was excellent.
Your tests were eye opening!
Great work, again!!

Hawk

gerry":2ulz8lam said:
I would be looking at a tougher 200 gr bullet like the AccuBond, Partition Woodleigh etc for closer range myself and maybe a second more specialized load for practice and long range hunting like the Hornady bullets you mention or maybe something different like a 200 gr Sierra BT. Maybe some bullet tests are in your future? ;)
Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head gerry
I do have this feeling that a range report on different 200 gr pills work in the .300 Win Mag.

Hawk

Dr. Vette":243ymjrx said:
Are you going to leave it as-is, or swap stocks?
I think I will leave it as-is for now.

Did you have a stock in mind, Dr. Vette?

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":2se2r6ol said:
Dr. Vette":2se2r6ol said:

Hawk

I don't leave any of them in the factory "Tupperware" plastic stock.
Most of mine wear Bell & Carlson, though I have a couple of McMillans and a couple of Weatherby laminates.

The factory stock - ANY factory plastic stock - flexes too much for me.
They get bedded and free floated in a replacement. Well, most are free floated; I think I have 3 that aren't.

Dr. Vette":1zyh1erf said:
HAWKEYESATX":1zyh1erf said:
Dr. Vette":1zyh1erf said:

Hawk

I don't leave any of them in the factory "Tupperware" plastic stock.
Most of mine wear Bell & Carlson, though I have a couple of McMillans and a couple of Weatherby laminates.

The factory stock - ANY factory plastic stock - flexes too much for me.
They get bedded and free floated in a replacement. Well, most are free floated; I think I have 3 that aren't.
If I'm going to change stocks, I would get one of the Weatherby laminated stocks. I love the feel of wood, but that would almosthave the durability of a synthetic stock.
Thank you for your advice. I greatly appreciate it!

Hawk

When I had my 300Weatherby S1 Vanguard I found the factory plastic stock wouldn't hold the action securely and allowed it to flex and whip in the stock to the point that it popped the front sling stud out with a bi-pod on it.
I replaced that stock with a B&C Medalist stock which has the full action metal bedding block which tamed it down quite a lot. I also experimented with floating the barrel. The B&C stock came with a molded in pressure point in the fore arm which I removed gradually as I shot 10 round groups to see if floating would affect the group size. The groups kept getting smaller with less pressure on the barrel and went from 1" groups to 1/2" groups with a fully floated barrel.
I love the feel of wood stocks but when it comes to accuracy you can hardly beat a good synthetic.
I only have one factory wood stocked rifle and the action and barrel channel is more glass then wood since it warped and I had it full length glass bedded to keep it from warping.

truck driver":1x2t3npe said:
When I had my 300Weatherby S1 Vanguard I found the factory plastic stock wouldn't hold the action securely and allowed it to flex and whip in the stock to the point that it popped the front sling stud out with a bi-pod on it.
I replaced that stock with a B&C Medalist stock which has the full action metal bedding block which tamed it down quite a lot. I also experimented with floating the barrel. The B&C stock came with a molded in pressure point in the fore arm which I removed gradually as I shot 10 round groups to see if floating would affect the group size. The groups kept getting smaller with less pressure on the barrel and went from 1" groups to 1/2" groups with a fully floated barrel.
I love the feel of wood stocks but when it comes to accuracy you can hardly beat a good synthetic.
I only have one factory wood stocked rifle and the action and barrel channel is more glass then wood since it warped and I had it full length glass bedded to keep it from warping.
That really good news to keep in mind.

Hawk

You will have to search to find a Weatherby laminate stock.

Boyd's has some designs that would likely be the closest.

Dr. Vette":aaqeclvd said:
You will have to search to find a Weatherby laminate stock.

Boyd's has some designs that would likely be the closest.
Thank you.
I've looked some of the B&C, and McMillan stocks.
Not much to choose from right now.
I will check periodically to see if I can find a nice stock.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":3auvh3yu said:
Hey Scotty!

Hawk

My friend uses that bullet out of his 300 Bee. He shot a large cow elk last year and she didn't go anywhere but down. I Don't know the velocity out of his rifle but they worked well.

In my old 300 Win mag I shot the 200gr Sierra Game king and they shot bug hole groups out of the rifle. Killed a small Mulely buck, cow elk, and a bull. They all died quickly with it.

HAWKEYESATX":2nu9lzi2 said:
truck driver":2nu9lzi2 said:

Hawk

Hawk I forgot to include I had a similar problem with a Ruger Hawkeye 338 Win Mag that would not group in the factory plastic stock and put that one in an H&S Precision stock which has the full bedding block and would also be one to check out.

truck driver":13xur4pc said:
HAWKEYESATX":13xur4pc said:
truck driver":13xur4pc said:

Hawk

Hawk I forgot to include I had a similar problem with a Ruger Hawkeye 338 Win Mag that would not group in the factory plastic stock and put that one in an H&S Precision stock which has the full bedding block and would also be one to check out.
That's another great suggestion!
Thank you!

Hawk

lhsako":1h8ynfxm said:
Really nice all weather, work horse rifle! What size game are you hunting?
I will be hunting big mule deer, and elk.

Thank you for the compliment on my rifle. I finally got my Talley mounts and rings in, after a 2 week journey that they took.

Hawk

UPDATE:

Well, I can finally say that my Weatherby Mark V .300 Win Mag is finally dressed and ready to go.

After a long, long 2 weeks, the Talley mounts and rings FINALLY came in.
I just got done a few minutes ago putting everything on, and bore sighted the scope.
She's ready for the range, and she's dressed to the nines!

I didn't think I would like it as much as I do, but WOW, I am over the moon with excitement!

I finally got my Weatherby Mark V .300 Win Mag! HOO-AH!!

HawkIMG_20201119_002935190~2.jpgIMG_20201119_003001426~2.jpg

Back