Vince
Handloader
- May 26, 2012
- 4,840
- 1,600
My in town carry gun is the Beretta M9A4G.
This is the best Beretta 92/M9 version in my opinion. You have the option to mount an RDO as I have. The night sights are good for what they are. I’m not a fan of night sights since I’ve aged and no longer a young whipper snapper. All I see is a green blur. I find it easier to put red blob on target and let my booger hook manipulate the bang switch. The red blob is round opposed to a horizontal green blur.
Having gone through FLETC with a Beretta 92 DAO years ago I like DA triggers over striker fired mush. The DA/SA transition is easy to get used to and while it’s not as nice as a Nighthawk 1911 it’s darn good in SA mode. The trigger reset is short and very positive.
The Vertec frame, I think that’s what it’s called, eliminates the famous Beretta hump on the backstrap. Thus making holding onto the gun easier for smaller handed individuals and also makes it easier to reach the trigger with your trigger finger. Speaking of holding onto the gun the checkering is sharp and really helps with holding onto this pew pew.
Some folks like a safety on their handgun and some handguns require a safety. Since this is a double action pistol I don’t feel the need for a safety. You can get it with the traditional safety or like me you can get the G version that serves as a decocker only. If you manipulate the decocker while reloading or clearing a malfunction you will be in DA mode for the next shot but no safety will need to be disengaged.
The color is some version of coyote/tan and the Ceracoate seems well applied. The gun is big and it takes a dedicated effort to conceal and sometimes it’s just too big. I carry AIWB, Appendix Inside The Waistband, and can conceal it most days with little effort. Think shorts, untucked heavy T-shirt tucked in loosely on one side, with my phone on the untucked side as camouflage. I use a custom Kydex holster with a wing and padding on the bottom of the holster to tip the gun into my body to conceal it better.
My other in town gun is a 2 1/2” K Frame Revolver with a Trijicon RDO. If I can’t conceal that I resort to a J Frame. When I’m riding my mountain bike the Beretta goes in my Camelback backpack. The draw is slow but I’m on a bike and will attempt to evade a two legged adversary that way first. Plus I have rocks and vegetation as cover and concealment hopefully buying me time to draw if needed.
I’ll post pics later when I can get some good sunlight.
Vince
This is the best Beretta 92/M9 version in my opinion. You have the option to mount an RDO as I have. The night sights are good for what they are. I’m not a fan of night sights since I’ve aged and no longer a young whipper snapper. All I see is a green blur. I find it easier to put red blob on target and let my booger hook manipulate the bang switch. The red blob is round opposed to a horizontal green blur.
Having gone through FLETC with a Beretta 92 DAO years ago I like DA triggers over striker fired mush. The DA/SA transition is easy to get used to and while it’s not as nice as a Nighthawk 1911 it’s darn good in SA mode. The trigger reset is short and very positive.
The Vertec frame, I think that’s what it’s called, eliminates the famous Beretta hump on the backstrap. Thus making holding onto the gun easier for smaller handed individuals and also makes it easier to reach the trigger with your trigger finger. Speaking of holding onto the gun the checkering is sharp and really helps with holding onto this pew pew.
Some folks like a safety on their handgun and some handguns require a safety. Since this is a double action pistol I don’t feel the need for a safety. You can get it with the traditional safety or like me you can get the G version that serves as a decocker only. If you manipulate the decocker while reloading or clearing a malfunction you will be in DA mode for the next shot but no safety will need to be disengaged.
The color is some version of coyote/tan and the Ceracoate seems well applied. The gun is big and it takes a dedicated effort to conceal and sometimes it’s just too big. I carry AIWB, Appendix Inside The Waistband, and can conceal it most days with little effort. Think shorts, untucked heavy T-shirt tucked in loosely on one side, with my phone on the untucked side as camouflage. I use a custom Kydex holster with a wing and padding on the bottom of the holster to tip the gun into my body to conceal it better.
My other in town gun is a 2 1/2” K Frame Revolver with a Trijicon RDO. If I can’t conceal that I resort to a J Frame. When I’m riding my mountain bike the Beretta goes in my Camelback backpack. The draw is slow but I’m on a bike and will attempt to evade a two legged adversary that way first. Plus I have rocks and vegetation as cover and concealment hopefully buying me time to draw if needed.
I’ll post pics later when I can get some good sunlight.
Vince
Last edited:






