Berretta BRX1 anyone tried one?

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I’ve been looking at the BRX1 rifle from berretta. It’s. Looks very similar to the blazer r8 but at a much more reasonable price.

I’m thinking about picking one up in 300 win mag.

Anyone tried one? Anyone have any opinions on it?

I look forward to your reports and reading of your successes with said rifle. Alas, I know nothing of the rifle but did get the chance to shoot an R8 at the range last summer.

IMG_6482.jpeg

I took the BRX1 out to the range this afternoon. I gotta say I’m pretty impressed. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the straight pull bolt. I didn’t expect it to shoot as well as it did really.

I only had a handful of federal premium 180 accubonds and several boxes of Hornady 200gr ELDX. The precision hunter load is phenomenally accurate out of my Seekins Havak.

After quickly getting it close at 25 yards I moved out to 100 yards and set it 1.5” high with the 200gr ELDX. Turned in a group just over an inch. Not bad.
IMG_6486.jpeg

I stepped it out to 200 yards and was pleasantly surprised with this nice group.
IMG_6483.jpeg

300 yards with the same load using the first hash mark on the reticle.
IMG_6484.jpeg
180 gr federal premium AccuBond loan 100yds
IMG_6487.jpeg
And last of my federal at 200yds
IMG_6485.jpeg

I’m pretty stoked about how well this rifle did. Especially seeing how the conversion barrels are starting to become available. It’s a touch heavier than a few of my other rifles but it’s not unmanageable. The trigger doesn’t compare to some off my other rifles. There is a bit of creep but a fairly crisp break and Just over 2 pounds. It’s adjustable so I might just have to play with it a bit.

As to the burris the verdict is still out. The clicks were repeatable but not quite as accurate as my nightforce and razors. It was close enough that I doubt it would cause a miss on an animal. The glass was very clear and reticle was clean and easy to use. I like the locking turrets and illuminated reticle. As this is intended to be a hunting rifle it will probably work just fine. I’m planning on mainly using the reticle and PBR for this rifle. It will take more use before I will trust it for dialing up long distances.

I ordered a vortex razor LHT 3-15x50 for the BRX1 today. This scope will check all my boxes and should be a bit more accurate adjustments. So far the razor LHT has yet to let me down. I have two of the 3-15x42 LHT that have been fantastic.

The Burris has a great feature set. The glass was pretty good, clear and bright. It was a good size and weight. Overall I think it is a good hunting scope. It seemed to return to zero well but adjustments were not particularly accurate.

I shot a 5 moa box at 100 yards that was decidedly rectangular. The vertical adjustment was less than the windage. A 10 moa vertical adjustment was closer to 8.5” than 10 at 100 yards. From a practical standpoint it is probably good enough that at realistic hunting ranges it would be close enough to still result in a dead animal, but if I’m going to be twisting turrets I want to be able to have complete confidence in what it’s doing.

IMG_6523.jpeg

I got the razor LHT mounted up today and zeroed in. Ended the day with a 1/2” 3 shot group at 200 yards. Very impressed with this setup. Loooks like it will go with me moose/caribou hunting in a couple weeks.
IMG_6520.jpeg

Back