Best base/ring choices for Savage model 11

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So, thought I was really landing a deal when my local Gander Mt went out of business and I picked up some Millet angle lock low steel rings for $7.00. Best part was when I mocked them up they seemed to put a 3-9X40 perfectly on the Savage model 11. Nice and low- perfect for that flat stock. So today I tried to put iy all together permanently and stripped out both of the angle clamp screws. :oops: :evil:
Cant believe these were actually steel. Ive had Aluminum ones on my slug gun for years with no problems. Any way, given the Weaver style bases what ring have worked well for you? Im usually a leupold man but would rather not buy bases again. I will if thats the best way but.... Thanks for the thoughts. CL

Burris Signature Zee rings. I have them on all 3 of my Vanguards, and likely will install them on the 4th when that rifle arrives.

I generally use the Signature Zee's for Weaver style bases, regular Signature rings for dovetail/windage style bases.

Free shipping thru Optics Planet, too.

Oh, and I usually buy a pack of the inserts (5/10/20) for every 1-2 sets of rings, as I virtually always use them to align the scope. Most of the time I can set up a scope so it only needs a few clicks to be zeroed at 100 yards. I think my record was my Sendero which needed 3 clicks total. :mrgreen:

I like the Burris Zee rings as well although I just have the standard model on my 35 Whelen, no complaints at all. I have Vortex split rings on my Savage 260 Rem and they are very solidly made, the only disadvantage is you can't detach the scope without taking the scope out of the rings completely. The Burris works great in that regard, standard Weaver rings hold a scope very well too.

I tried a pair of :
Warne Maxima Fixed Rings and been quite happy with them. First time using them and the are solid.

Worth checking out.

If you want to keep your Weaver-style bases, I like either the Buris Zee (Signature or regular, your choice) or the Grand Slam rings. If you don't mind swapping the whole setup, I'll heartily recommend the Talley Lightweight one piece ringmounts.

I've also used the Talley Lightweight one piece and a RUM and they held up to that recoil. I would give them a vote also.

What...? No votes for Luey....? Unheard of around here :) Thanks for the thoughts guys. CL

I've had multiple fit issues with Leupold rings and bases over the past decade. I've all but quit using them. I think they've let QC slip very badly.

Back