Best bullets for black bear

deerslayer722

Beginner
Jun 2, 2005
I have a 280 but Im not sure what bullets to get for bear. I was thinking a 160-175 grain bullet. But what type of bullet would be the best?

Depending on the size of the bear and shot placement, you could use a 140 or 150 gr load. The average bear is under 200 lbs.
IMO, its best to plan for the worst and hope for the best. The 160 gr PT in your 280 Rem would be more than enough for even the biggest Black Bear under any condition.

Try 54.0 grs of IMR4831, R-P case, Federal GM210M primer with the 160 gr PT. This is a Max load so work up carefully. My M700 Classic shoots this load under .5" at 100 yds.

Regards,

JD338

Bear are a complete 180 degree flip from members of the deer family. They are built differently with a flatter and lower vital zone. Their bones are also more solidly built and their extreme long hair really soakes up the blood. While most black bear harvested are in the 150 - 250 pound weight class, virtually all areas have the potential to produce a seven-footer plus. For that reason coupled with the fact that wounded bears fight back, charge, or will quitely lay in wait, I would suggest a bullet that would completely penetrate a bear from any angle. I would use a 175 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A-frame, or Nosler Partition in that order. With modern powders your 280 approaches middle of the road 7mm Remington magnum velocities. Better to be prepared for the worst when dealing with game that bites back and don't forget to always put an extra one in when approaching gangerous game.

I was not going to reply as I am not overly experience with black bear but here goes. I hunt in territory where the black bears tend on the smaller side, however, my Southern Oregon trophy field dressed at 380 lbs and measured right at 7'. At the time I was sporting a .30-06 with 165 Partition and though he went less than 10 feet after the shot, I was glad I wasn't packing smaller. Since then I have upgraded to the 180gr AccuBond and will not back down on bullet size because I'd sure as heck rather be ready for anything than undergunned. And that is why my backup is .44 Rem Mag with the 250gr PT! :) With the stories I've read about blackies rolling down hills like VW bugs and snapping and snarling for minutes after being shot, I won't take any chances.

I too would suggest heavy for caliber Partitions for bear, but would a medium size Fail-Safe bullet also work?

I agree with the heavy for caliber and deep penetration crowd. A black bear, especially in the fall when they are fattened up for their winter den, will carry a lot of full entraills. thier fat and thier heavy muscle and bone structure can call for a lot of penetration, especially on a quartering shot. They also move suprisingly fast. They are not Grizzlies but if you, as you mentioned, ever seen one tear loose on something it gives a whole new dimension to mass destruction. I got one with a .454 Casull that had been treed. The guide moved his dogs before I shot to protect them and when the bear hit the ground after two, killing, shots it put on a display with the brush and dirt where it hit that would have made Bruce Lee blush with envy..You've got a good caliber with plenty of power and you should do well with any of the bullets mentioned.. Hey: good luck and have fun. Let us know how you do! :wink:

Back