Best Range Caliber?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
I am still in the early stages of working up loads for 6mmBRM in an E.A. Brown falling block rifle. The rifle is very pleasant to shoot and after working with my falling block 7mmRemMag before hunting season, the little 6mm shoots as if it has no recoil.
Falling blocks always get a lot of attention at my local county range. Youngsters flailing away with AR type rifles, many times have no idea what I am firing.
An older gent was on the line, swapping out scopes on his Martini action, bench rest rifle and he asked what I was using. After telling him about my rig, he said: "For range work, anything beyond 222Rem. is a waste!" I am always surprised by rudeness, but the guy was bent over and half blind and I am a spry 67 year old kid, so I let it go and continued my paper punching fun.
The 6mmBRM is a challenge, because first of all, you have to begin with 30-30 brass, size it down twice and trim it, before you even have brass to fireform. I realize that after a few years, I will become bored with the 6mm and want/need to play with something else.
What is your favorite range rifle/caliber combo to play with at the range?
Steven A.

Anything that goes BOOM. I go through fazes and come back to them ever so often. Black powder cartridge, old military rifles, modern wild cats, currently I am in a T/C Contender faze. Been playing with a 14" 6mm-225 Win and I have a SS Shilen 14" 30-30 Ackley Improved barrel on it's way from Match Grade Machines (MGM) by the end of Jan. The only thing I have been shooting lately is the BS on the internet. It has been so cold and snowing so much I can't get out to the range. :lol:

Most of all I enjoy two:

The .22 long rifle - inexpensive to shoot, no recoil, little noise and excellent accuracy. If I'm missing with the .22, it's my fault.
IMG_2590.jpg

The .308 Win - for very similar reasons. It's accurate, easy to shoot, easy to load and just plain works well. Also powerful enough for pretty much any of my hunting needs.
IMG_2367.jpg

I would agree with Guy, 22 LR and 308 Win/30-06 are my picks.
My rimfire is a Remington M541-HBT. I currently do not have a 30 cal.:cry:

JD338

Best?
Depends on what I'm doing.
Guy Miners two rifles are high on my list. I also have a custom .308, and would really like a model 52c, single shot with match sights.

My Mosin, M39 is a great range rifle. Cheap, accurate practice, and you get the full recoil of a hunting rifle. Milk Jugs and Bowling pins from 200 yards off hand or sitting, with iron sights makes for great practice.

For accuracy, I like my 22-250.
.223 is also a great range gun....or it was until ammo prices went up so much...

I guess its the Rem 700 .243 with a 26" bull barrel and a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 thats always been fun to shoot at the range. A close second is the Rem 700 Tactical .308 with a 20" bull barrel and a Leupold LPS 2.5-10.

As already stated above, certianly depends on what I'm stiring up at the time.....
If I need to get back and work on my form, concentrate on relaxed trigger pull etc, then yes the .222, .223 or 6ppc are hard to beat at the range.
Have to say though..... it's also fun to pull out the .280 or .300RUM and get results close to what some of the others do with their bench guns :lol:

Glad to hear you enjoy shooting your new project !

My new best range rifle is my santa- tikka varmiint in 223. I get all my use brass from my buddies for the best price - free
Russ

If I just want to shoot groups at 100yds I'll take the 6ppc Ruger #1 with Hart barrel and Kepplinger set triggers. Kind of fun to take something alittle different.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/ ... Mauser.jpg

Click above to view rifle.
This is one that I like to pull out and compare groups, between what I can do with the scope mounted and what these old eyes can do with iron sights. .243Win. that began life as a WWII German K98k Mauser and was built up by an old friend, back in Md.
The only thing that the rifle has punched holes in, other than paper, is when I see and extra large Prairie Dog and need more penetration.
Steven A.

Mine is my .260 Remington, I would rather shoot it as anything I own.

Guy, please stop posting pictures of your .308, it is causing me to want to sell everything I own and buy one just like it. :grin:

Best range caliber 6mm Remington- Ruger #1B 1976 Liberty Edition

No recoil, shoots flat, fast, and accurate!! :grin:

Sorry I had to add a couple more. :roll: :oops:

Top- Ruger #1B 30-06 What a sweetheart of a rifle!

Middle- Remington Model 600 Centennial 6mm Remington- 1964: 75th year of Montana Statehood- - 100th year of the Territorial Centennial for Montana

Bottom- Ruger #1B 6mm Remington Does not get any better!

004.jpg

Thank you very much Guy. They sure put some pretty wood into those #1's too. A guy ALMOST hates to use them, but it would be a shame not to!

My 250 Savage is really the most fun 8)
Leuygrp101708.jpg

4 shot group, the two above were called "yanks" operator error.
Dcp02521.jpg

75 Grains of 4350 under a 75 grain v-max is easy to shoot and scary accurate. 100 Gr. BT over 35 Grains of 4064 is just about as accurate and my go to goat/deer load.

I sold a 22 MAG a couple years back and that was just a ball to shoot. Cheap, no fuss no muss. I miss that one. CL

cloverleaf said:
My 250 Savage is really the most fun 8)

The 250-3000 is one of those really underated cartridges. That also looks like a really nice rifle. I bet it has killed a lot of deer and other game in its lifetime!! I do appreciate other calibers even though my hanldle is 6mm Remington. In the .257 range, starting with your baby, the 257 Roberts- fantastic, 25-06- awesome, and the 257 Weatherby incredible. All very very good!

IMG_0367.jpg

PC240098.jpg

My Savage 12 LP in 243 topped with a 6-18 Mark 2. Shooting 105 A-Max, and Nosler 55 bt. Low recoil and a enough gun to shoot out to 1000 yards.

Back