Binoculars

G

I am interested in getting good binoculars for squirrill and eastern deer hunting (not wide open western spaces). I have a 10 x 42 Kahles binocular that was perfect for my recent WY pronghorn hunt. I find the 10 power a bit too much power for SC use (woods and smaller open areas). I have considered Leica 7 x 42 and 8 x 42. Leica makes a 7 power but most companies don't. Many of the companies make an 8 power. The price of the Leica is considerable. Do you think there would be enough power reduction from 10 down to 8 power or should I go down to 7 power. If I did not have the 10 power Kahles I would be more inclined to the 8 power. Is the 32 objective large enough with 7 or 8 power? Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

Its all about the quality of the glass more so than either power or objective lens size. Same applies for low light requirements.

I have a a pair of Leupold Wind River 8x32 which are compact and light weight that I have used for years for deer hunting etc. I also have a pair of Meopta 10x42 which are amazing. They are, to my eye, better than the Swaro 10x50 SLC and several hundreds less.

JD338

I prefer 8x to 10x because I can see a wider field of view which is perfect for scanning for critters, even prairie dogs in the wide open. I have a set of burris 8x32 and nikon action 8x40? The nikons are much crisper than the burris and I use to think the burris were great. Both run about 100 bucks each.

I love the 7X magnification. For a long time, I used the excellent 7X50 Bushnell Traveler that I found in a local pawnshop. So when it's time to replaced it I opt for Swarovski 7X42 SLC. The glass is great on the Swaro but after wearing it for a day it feels like a boat anchor hanging in my neck. I'm looking to replace it in the future and the EL in 8X would be my choice.

I use 7X or 8X for general purpose, usually 32mm to 42mm objectives.

I like to use a porro prism binocular (dog leg shape) for the woods, and I have an older Swaro 7X42 Habicht -- Swaro still sells this glass and it is lighter than the SLC design IIRC. You could also get a bino harness to help with the anchor weight.

You can also check the birding sites to see what those ultra-perfectionist bino users are buying. I recently got a Nikon Superior E 8X32 because the birders consider it to be the best glass out there. I will have to agree with them. The only drawback is the waterproof issue.

My general use glass is a Swaro EL 8.5X42.

jim

I think you'd be fine with 8x. I hunt the woods of north Alabama, which are similar to what I remember as far as hunting around Manning and Estill, SC when I've been over there, and I routinely use either 8x or 10x, depending on the situation. I have a pair of Bushnell Legend 10x42's that I use when I'm hunting with a rifle over greenfields or open areas. These are on a harness, of course, to reduce the neck fatigue. When I'm bowhunting or stalking in the woods, I use a pair of 8x28 compacts (wearing the Browning brand, but made by Bushnell also) that are spectacular as far as clarity and brightness are concerned. I was really amazed at these, and supremely so when I remember that I bought them for $35 on clearance at 80% off. I wish I could have bought another pair for my brother.

Anyway, I've used the 10x while in the woods, as they're not terrible when on the harness (weight-wise) and they're still great glass, but the 8x compacts are much easier to handle in thick cover due to their weight, greater field of view, and the ability to use them one handed.

Here's a link to an optics review site:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics.html

They have optics reviewed categorically by price, so you can compare what is in your price range.

Here's a link to reviews by the birders at Cornell's Ornithology Lab:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publicatio ... Binos.html

I'd pretty well take their word as gospel, with the understanding that you need to look through any binos you're considering to find the best 'fit' for your eyes.

Remember that, unlike boots or clothes or other items, binoculars are not something you'll "upgrade" very often, if you buy good ones. Save up and spend the money on a decent pair, and you'll very likely be highly satisfied.

A big thinks to all of you for your replies. You have shared some good info with me and it is a great help.

260fan
I personally like the compact binoculars over full size models because they are just so light and nice to carry. I am NEVER tempted to leave my binoculars at the truck where I might be with a full size glass. That being said, the 8x32's and the 10x32's are a close second. They are very nice if you go with a good manufacturer.

For years I have used nothing but 10x25 Leupold Gold Ring compacts and I love them. I honestly have not felt that I was missing things during low light conditions of early mornings and late afternoons. Leupold builds a great product and they sure as heck stand behind them. I did recently purchase a set of 10x25 Leica Ultravids that I used throughout this past hunting season. They are very sharp and clear and I'm equally happy with them as I have been with the Leupolds. The Leupolds have been passed down to my son to use now. I don't think you could go wrong with something along the lines of these two models for your intended purposes, and they sure are nice to carry! Good luck.

The harness deal that you stick your arms through sure makes carrying binos much more enjoyable for me and they're always right where I need them to be without pulling on my neck.

I have been using just what you are looking for. The Steiner Predator 8X30mm. They are compact and their weight is only 18 oz they are a focus once and forget it and they are made for low light conditions and the glass is great. They are rubber armored and come with attached lens caps.

Back