Black bear over bait- Why not the 257 Roberts?

Well I've shot 3 of them, all past 300+ yards with a 25-06 and 115-117g bullets and never had a problem.

I dont think a .257 roberts over bait would have a problem when your looking at a 75 yard shot maximum...

remingtonman_25_06":1y13shdm said:
Well I've shot 3 of them, all past 300+ yards with a 25-06 and 115-117g bullets and never had a problem.

I dont think a .257 roberts over bait would have a problem when your looking at a 75 yard shot maximum...

The energy level of the 25-06 at 300+ yards would be lower than the 257 Roberts at 100 yds. As mentioned earlier, the 257 Roberts would work just fine on a black bear over bait. I would use a 115 gr PT and place that bullet with surgical precision. Even a big black bear will die quick if you hit them right.

I have killed my bears with 30-06 150 gr PT, 35 Whelen 225 gr PT and 338 RUM 210 gr PT. All hit through the shoulders.

JD338

Craig,

How did the hunt go? Any report on how the 257 worked on black bear?

Its not a power thing with the black bears its just big bullets help for blood trails IF need. For example the 35rem has less powder capacity then x57 case dose but it works great on them bears.

I would use a 257roberts and a 120gr bullet with out hesatation and they should punch clean through. If I had a nice 308win carbine I would prefer it for handling and its heavier 308 cal bullet.

Consequently, I prefer a little more frontal area on bullets with black bear. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it ensures a greater likelihood of a blood trail is such is needed. Part of the reason for this is that hunting in BC is generally by spot and stalk, and when a bear is hit it often hies for the bush.

I agree with you fellas, large frontal area hits harder and makes a bigger hole. IF all I had was a 257 Bob to hunt bear, I wouldn't hesitate. If I pull a tag this year, I am going to use my 35 Whelen.
I have never had to track a bear, don't want to either.Thats why I use a PT and take out the shoulders. When the front end is gone, they don't move. :wink:

JD338

I have been asked to help in tracking several bears, and it can be interesting to say the least. I have had a few bears run on me--even bears that had broken a shoulder, which has taught me to be ready for a quick follow-up shot. Bears can be tough, especially if they were already wary, and the fur and fat tend to absorb blood and/or plug holes in the hide. Big bullets do it for me as an insurance against having to track a bear far. To be certain, I have seen bears killed with smaller bullets, but when I go specifically for bear, I take a 30 calibre of larger bullet.

I'll be on Vancouver Island hunting black bears this spring, and it is my intention to take my Remington 673 in 350 Remington Magnum and either my Ruger Hawkeye chambered in 358 Winchester or my other Hawkeye in 35 Whelen. None of these particular rifles have been blooded, yet. With a two bear limit, I should do fine. The 35 calibres just give me a bit more insurance in the thick timber that can abut the shoreline and/or provide cover along the logging slashes.

OK.....

just borrow my 416 Bee or 378 Bee!

Done deal! :lol:

The 35 cals and black bears are a perfect match.
The 225 gr PT from a 35 Whelen or 350 Rem Mag will bust major bones and give you a nice exit wound from any angle.
The 250 gr PT is an awesome bullet too.
35WhelenBulletExpansion.jpg

JD338

well I've taken a few bears here in wv, 7 to be exact and have saw many many more taken while hunting with dogs. the weapon of choice in most instances is the 243 win.
you hit the vitals and a bear can't take a hit nearly as well as a deer. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 257 bob with a good bullet on any black bear that walks.
RR

Ridge_Runner":3mtsgz2j said:
I wouldn't hesitate to use the 257 bob with a good bullet on any black bear that walks.
RR

The thing about animals that run off is that the reason for it getting away is seldom known!

Ridge Runner,

No doubt smaller calibres will work. However, in thick brush, such as where I usually hunt, a bigger calibre is simply insurance that a blood trail will be available, because sometimes things just don't go as planned.

Well if Calibre (size ) was all that mattered then a deer would never get away with a 12 ga slug in it. And I can tell you that happens. Dont even talk to me about energy deposited. I have no (none, nada, zip, ziltch) experience with bears but I do have some experience with the .25. Put a Partition in the right place on the ouside and I gotta believe it will do the job on the inside. Also, you aint talkin' about a 200 yard shot here. That bullet will find the heart. If you need to roll 'em over go find a bigger gun and hope you dont flinch. Be sure and post the pics! CL

I normally go with a smaller caliber for large game animals than most people I hunt with, but when I am hunting something that can hunt back, it will be my .358 or 338-06. It will be as heavy of a bullet as possible with a nice round dome :).

I have only shot one black bear and that was with an old 7X57 mauser that I was deer hunting with as a 14 year old kid. It was shot behind the shoulders through the boiler room and it ran over 100 yards. Scariest tracking I have ever done. I love my 257 Ackley, but it would be a safe queen for a beer hunt!

Back