black bear

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
This year I want to seriously hunt black bear. In the past I have just bought the tag on the outside chance one might run across my path while deer or elk hunting.

I live on the southern coast of Oregon and there is plenty of bear and sign around. In fact there is an additional south west tag avaliable that would permit me to harvest two bear.
The terrain is steep and thick. We can use electronic calls but no bait or dogs are allowed.

Season opens up Aug 1st and I know there is bear in a few different areas of the woods that I frequent.

Any tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

I was really looking forward to hunting bear with my muzzleloader this fall, but again was unsuccessful. While waiting for the draw, I asked my uncle in PA who has hunted black bear many years what he suggested. He told me to find water and feed in an area with sign. They normally hunt in crews putting on drives or hunt them with hounds. Good luck to you. Hope that helps somewhat. I am very envious! Most of all, I hope you have a great time!

old #7":3muq88wg said:
This year I want to seriously hunt black bear. In the past I have just bought the tag on the outside chance one might run across my path while deer or elk hunting.

I live on the southern coast of Oregon and there is plenty of bear and sign around. In fact there is an additional south west tag avaliable that would permit me to harvest two bear.
The terrain is steep and thick. We can use electronic calls but no bait or dogs are allowed.

Season opens up Aug 1st and I know there is bear in a few different areas of the woods that I frequent.

Any tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hunting Oregon Bear this year Too. But I'll be up by Seaside. I'd love to geta additional bear tag but that is WAY to far to drive for one more bear! I'm new to bear hunting too.

The coast range is so thick with underbrush it would be hard to spot and stalk especially down in the bottom near water.
I was thinking about setting up in a couple of small clearings with a caller and some scent.
I tried that last year once but called in a bobcat.

I don't really know the habbits of black bear. I do know they like to eat black berrys and are oppourtunistic eaters and thats about it.

I guess I might have to dig out some old hunting magazines and do some research.

I'm going with a buddy of mine from work. He is an experienced bear hunter, so I have a "guide" of sorts. We are going to use scents and I'm going to try and sweet talk the wife into a electronic caller, after all she want a bear skin rug too. My buddy way that we are going to set up in a clear cut that has berries,(black huckle, salmon, or thimble) and use the scents and call form there.

old #7":1lgbn4kn said:
The coast range is so thick with underbrush it would be hard to spot and stalk especially down in the bottom near water.
I was thinking about setting up in a couple of small clearings with a caller and some scent.
I tried that last year once but called in a bobcat.

I don't really know the habbits of black bear. I do know they like to eat black berrys and are oppourtunistic eaters and thats about it.

I guess I might have to dig out some old hunting magazines and do some research.

What does a blueberry call sound like? :lol:

Charlie NY wrote
What does a blueberry call sound like?
:lol:

I was thinking of placing a picnic basket on a stump for Yogi but we can't use bait. Maybe an empty picnic basket would be good sight bait. :grin:

I've bowhunted elk a couple of times in the eighties olong the umpqua river around Reedsport and and saw blackberry thickets that were loaded with bear sign so I'll second Black-tails comment

Honketonkin,
Reedsport and the Umpqua river area is exactly where I will be hunting.
The Tioga unit :)

The berry patches are a very good place to start. I would set up a stand overlooking the patches and set in it religiously at least in the evenings from around 3:00pm till dark. Early morning can be good also but in my opinion the evening is the best. It can be a long and boring wait but it could pay off. If there are logging roads in your area they make a good place to glass from if you want to take the stalk method.

Tioga unit, yes it is almost straight up and down in places. I killed my one and only elk their with a bow years ago. Its one of the places I have in back of my mind to move to when my kids are grown up and gone

Honkeetonkin wrote
Tioga unit, yes it is almost straight up and down in places.

You aren't kidding and there is no roads at the bottom.
What would be the most effective call for bear.
I have cottontail distress, doe distress and fawn bleats on my caller.

A great call for calling in an old boar is a bear cub distress call. Seventy percent of cub loss is through boars killing cubs.

If possible I would try a honey burn. It works great. Lots of critters come running when they smell it. Take a tin coffee can, poor a jar of honey in it. Get a vice grip and clap on (this is your handle) Get a blow torch heat the outside of the can above the honey after that area gets hot tip the can so the honey runs on the hot spot. It will create a very thick white smoke that will float in the wind. If you inhale it you will taste the honey.

Aaron

Laker_Taker":5rx0n06f said:
If possible I would try a honey burn. It works great. Lots of critters come running when they smell it. Take a tin coffee can, poor a jar of honey in it. Get a vice grip and clap on (this is your handle) Get a blow torch heat the outside of the can above the honey after that area gets hot tip the can so the honey runs on the hot spot. It will create a very thick white smoke that will float in the wind. If you inhale it you will taste the honey.

Aaron

Honey Burns are illegal in Oregon. Just glass berry patches. There are bears everywhere on the coast. You just need some good glasses and patience.

Back