Black powder cartridge rifle....

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Random question- What black powder cartridges do you load for and what rifles (pistols) do you use them in? For what purpose- hunting, target...? What Cal. can you buy factory loaded ammo for? Is it available in the current "shortage". I dont really want to muzzle load- not opposed, just lazy- but that big could of smoke looks like fun! Should have bought that old H&R single shot in 45-70 ...I think there are black powder loads for that. Does it take some specialized equipt.? Curious... CL

Last edited:
Troy, I don't load any black powder cartridges, but I know of a couple of people who do. I think 45-70 is popular and some opt for the 45-90. I am sure there are other cartridges as well.

I have heard these guys can shoot extremely accurately. If you are interested in talking with one of them, I can put you in contact with him. Dan

Troy, I don't load any black powder cartridges, but I know of a couple of people who do. I think 45-70 is popular and some opt for the 45-90. I am sure there are other cartridges as well.

I have heard these guys can shoot extremely accurately. If you are interested in talking with one of them, I can put you in contact with him. Dan
Thanks Dan- I guess at this point I was just "kinda thinkin' out loud". Really cant affort to get into another rifle/ hobby at the moment, Thanks for the offer and thinkin' of me though. CL

I'm not 100% certain I understand the question. I load for 45-70, which was a BP cartridge, but I do not use BP or substitute when I load it. That's not to say you can't, just that I don't. My handloads are just for paper, but, again, no reason you can't use them for deer/ black bear, just that I don't.

I try to replicate the 45-70-405 load at 1200 from my Henry. I use RL7 and I could not quote the charge offhand, but it's easy to find. Just look under the lower power loads for antique firearms.

I do not know anyone that makes a BP load. The closest I can think of is Black Hills, but that is just light-loaded modern smokeless.

You should not need any special equipment, but PLEASE, be very, very, very cognizant of static electricity if dealing with actual BP.

Troy, I have been waiting awhile for my Sharps 50-90 to get here. So this is all from learning, haven't loaded a single round yet. But, I you need a LONG powder drop tube, a powder compression die and that's about all that I know of that is special for loading them. I haven't looked forward to loading for a rifle in quite awhile. I have an assortment of 700-750 grain bullets for the big guy, now I am just waiting..

Troy,
The guys up in Ponderay Idaho at Buffalo Arms mostly use Swiss 1.5 Fg for the BP Cartridges they load for. Swiss is considered the Best BP and I would have to agree considering it's what is used at the National BP Cartridge matches. Schuetzen is also a good powder but will not produce the velocity that Swiss will, and is clean burning.

BTW I use both these in my muzzleloaders. That said if you looked up what the cartridge guys are using you'll see they all use Swiss BP.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas to you Troy.

Just looks like fun- shooting and that big cloud of smoke. No down side to that. Merry Christmas to you too Cole. CL

Troy, there is an article in the February 2023 issue (no. 342) of the "Handloader Ammunition Reloading Journal" magazine (I usually just call it the "Handloader" magazine). on loading the 45-70 with black powder. It is written by Mike Venturino and the article is titled, "50 Years with the 45-70". I subscribe to the magazine, but I used to find it in the magazine section of my local supermarket until they stopped carrying magazines with the word "Gun" on the cover. Dan

Back