Black Rifles

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
Ok I will ask this here because I really respect the apparent knowledge of those that frequent this site as well as the fact that there are far less judgemental people around these parts.

I dont know anything about them

I dont need any more bolt actions.. Even though I have a long list of what I want

But I am looking for a winter project and am thinking AR everyone has to have one right?

I want a light coyote setup so less than or at 1" groups at 100 yards is sufficient but light is better and the less money the better.

Being in California everything is a little more difficlut but I think I got it figured out make sure it comes with a bullet button and I should be good.

So Do I build? If I do what should it cost me and what do I need?

Should I buy complete? the remington R-15 has some nice camo but is that all it has?

Just how much is this gunna cost me?

Also is changing uppers fairly quick and easy similar to changing barrels on an Encore or if I want more than one caliber should I consider investing in multiple lowers?

Well I agree that everybody should own one.

I had a R-15 and with the 40gr. BT, and a max charge of Benchmark it would regularly shoot under an inch. Best three shot group went .233". If you are using it sor song dogs, I would go with the six position stockk. It is super handy to be able to make it short for storage/trasportation, and just looks good. As far as barrels go, I'm a big fan of the 18-20" range for a yote gun. Still gives you enough barrel to get a 60 gr bt moving along good for the 300-400 yard shots, but isn't so long that you have a big gun to carry. You can't go wrong with the R-15, as the camo is the only thing that you can't find on anyothers.

If you are wanting to build one, go to www.model1sales.com and you can put one together for a pretty goood price. Not sure how far they are bakordered, but give them a call. They use E.R. Shaw barrels. I sighted a 16" Model 1 AR in for a buddy a few weekends ago and without doing any load testing I could get 1" groups out of it. These are fine guns, but they don't have the "big name" on them so they an be harder to resell when/if you get done with it.

If you are wanting to buy one I would go with the R-15, Bushmaster, Rockriver, or DPMS. They will be easiest to get parts for is you should ever need them and easiest to resell should you ever want to. All of these should be able to meet 1 MOA pretty easy.

If you have been shooting bolt guns all your life it takes some time go get used to using an AR. It might even cost you a few yotes in the field. Hang in there and you'll get the hang of it and it willl become one of your favorite rifles.

If I was to get any of them right now, already built, the Ruger SR556 is a strong contender, with the gas piston operation, it is strong and ULTRA reliable. It has a 16" upper and would be a nice packing rifle. I like the AR's, I carry one all over the world and they are some of the toughest, reliable rifles out there and with some good triggers, they are accurate beyond belief. Scotty

Nitis, yes, everyone needs at least one black rife. Most AR platforms are "Mil-Spec". Between milspec rifles, virtually all the part are interchageable. Now somebuilders have their own little twist so it is important to pay attention.

The most noticable difference between most of the makers you mentioned is the trigger.
The Bushmaster has a stock military trigger, and at 10 pounds, a trigger pull that only a drill sgt or attorney could love. If you buy a bushy, budget for a replacement trigger.
The Remington has a crisp single stage trigger. It's trigger pull is most similar to what you are used to in your bolt rifles.
Rock river has a couple of nice features. They probably have the best factory two stage trigger, and they also offer the .223 Wilde chamber. The Wilde chamber is throated between the .223 Rem and the 5.56 Nato, and as I understand , is technically is spec for both.
Model1sales has greeat prices if you are a builder,

Changing uppers if very simple. Unload it, push out two pins, remove upper. Slot the other one on, push the pins back in, done.
The velocity in an AR is very sensative to barrel length. So unless you plan on building a CQB rifle, a 20" barrel is a good idea.

1" groups are common. My friends heavy barrel shoots .5 Moa with just about any handload I care to feed it.

There are many rumors regarding the reliability of AR's. Truth is, the reliability of an AR is a function of the magazines, seldom the rifle. With each new magazine you purchase, load ten rounds and test it. If it jams within the first 10 rounds, you have a bag magazine. Get rid of it immediatly or it will give you nothing but trouble. There is no comparison between the reliability of my AR and my AK. The AR is by far the more reliable of the two.

Overall, they are a great platform that will bring you alot of fun. Nothing quite like shooting prairie dogs with an AR.

Back