blank

I will have to check what Weatherby's specs are but for some reason 3900 sounds a bit fast. None the less, the PT will handle that. One question, you said the last shot was in the neck broadside, but you found the bullet in the belly? Let me know if I read that wrong.

I had similar experiences this year, but at the end of the day, it was my fault. I shot an antelope and swore I had a great hold. By the time we found it I placed the bullet just on the edge of the lungs and mostly in the front half of the guts. Had it been an animal in the woods, I wouldn't have been able to track it very far.

I will say this, any bullet made in the U.S. placed in the vitals behind the shoulder will do the job. It is up to Nosler to make products that perform when that shot isn't available. Which just happens to be 90% of the time :grin:

Also, the neck has a bunch of muscle and bone. At close range, the bullet could in theory become a "magic bullet" , but 90 degrees is quite a bit. Let me know some more of the story.

Just a "piece" of the bullet went south. Fragments went multiple directions. Most didn't travel far but did plenty of damage in a small area. I'm with you on the shot placement thing. It is just after finally finding a deer and not having a passthru ALL avenues have to be followed up on so we don't loose more game. I hate the thought of that. Thanks for the response. My dang digital camera got wet and damaged so I don't have pics. I wish I did. Thanks again. God Bless

Was he shooting a Partition? If so, that could be your problem. Partitions just punch a hole right through deer that small. I have always shot the soft points or BTs at whitetails. With a gun that big and an animal that small it doesn't matter if you get an exit hole. All of that energy goes into the animal and there is no tracking. I used to just shoot them through the shoulders with my 300 Weatherby if I didn't want to track them. Can't run very well on just two back legs!!!

Back