Blaser R8

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I've found myself with a serious hankering for a blaser R8 lately. The desire is so strong I have even put up several rifles to fund this madness!!

I was thinking about going with a blaser professional in the initial clambering of 6.5x284 Norma. Down the road can can get something bigger or smaller depending on whatever current whim.

Any of you guys have any experience with blaser R8 rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man.... I've been wanting one for a couple years. The professional model they had in a nifty Pelican case all cut out.

I came close but didn't swing it....yet.

I was looking at that myself! Depending how well my rifles sell I might be getting one in a few weeks!

I worked with some folks who run the Blaser 338 Lapua as their main long gun. It is ridiculously accurate and very well built. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Bear,

I am a huge fan of Blaser in general and the R8. When you decide take a long look at where you ultimately want to be caliber wise. The Standard group will be fine if you don't want anything above a 9.3 x 62. I personally prefer the Magnum group which gives one the 270 Weatherby, 338 Winchester and the 375 H & H. There are many three caliber groups one can come up with that will work for you, but this is the one I liked for the one rifle with three barrel's. Blaser rifles helps us get around the restrictions European countries have on the number of rifles you can own

I've got a Blaser question....

If you shoot the rifle dry, do you have to remove the magazine to reload or can you top load the magazine like a conventional bolt action?

The Blaser is a very nice rifle. Hope you both can get one. I see they list a 7mm, 338 and 375 Blaser Magnums. Anyone here know anything about these chambering's?

JD338

JD338":fpmsjcwv said:
The Blaser is a very nice rifle. Hope you both can get one. I see they list a 7mm, 338 and 375 Blaser Magnums. Anyone here know anything about these chambering's?

JD338

Sort of like the 28 Nosler

Unbelted, wide body cartridge (.545" Case) at .30-06 length.

Norma figures are a 140AB at 3150fps.

hodgeman":33c0nkfs said:
JD338":33c0nkfs said:

JD338

Cool. Thanks Hodge

JD338

hodgeman":1t1ilzgm said:
JD338":1t1ilzgm said:

JD338

They are in Norma's latest load manual. Nothing above and beyond what we already have but that battery JD mentioned would be pretty sweet for one rifle and extra barrels all fitting in the same Pelican...

SJB358":2m5gveq0 said:
They are in Norma's latest load manual. Nothing above and beyond what we already have but that battery JD mentioned would be pretty sweet for one rifle and extra barrels all fitting in the same Pelican...

They would at that, I could get an 7RM and .338WM barrel and be happy all day.

As much as I like tinkering with new cartridges... we're kinda in the territory of diminishing returns. Pretty tough to do anything new or different with almost any bore diameter.

We're sort of going back to the days before WWI, where every maker had their own proprietary ammunition to go with their rifle. Probably not going to unseat the common cartridges, but it is something different to talk about down at the hardware store.

Without a doubt. As long as the hunter doesn't mind the work of finding brass there isn't too much harm in it either. I love the gun talk.. Some folks just wanna load some blue box Federals into their hunting rifle and kill stuff... No harm in either method.

I had looked at maybe something like a 7mm blaser and then I could easily step up to something bigger but honestly I find the mediums more fun to shoot and paired with high BC bullets they hang with the magnums out to extreme ranges.

Also the blaser barrels are all a tad on the slow side when it comes to twist. It seems the 6.5s are the only ones twisted fast enough for the better BC bullets.

A 6.5 and 9.6 combo actually doesn't sound like a bad thing

Thebear_78":2pefhhsv said:
I had looked at maybe something like a 7mm blaser and then I could easily step up to something bigger but honestly I find the mediums more fun to shoot and paired with high BC bullets they hang with the magnums out to extreme ranges.

Also the blaser barrels are all a tad on the slow side when it comes to twist. It seems the 6.5s are the only ones twisted fast enough for the better BC bullets.

A 6.5 and 9.6 combo actually doesn't sound like a bad thing

That'd be a cool combo as well... So many options, so little time, well, and money!

I hear you can often find the 500 Jeffery barrels cheap, most only fired once!!!!

Was talking to a buddy at the gun shop the other day who said a local doctor bought one, took it on a buffalo hunt. Killed two with it, I guess it absolutely flattened them.

After the hunt his professional hunter was remarking how nice it was and how well it flattened those buff, the doctor told him "glad you liked it, you can keep it because I never want to shoot that damn thing again!"

Back