Blind Squirel Finds A Nut

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Went to the range today to try out some loads with 225gr Partitions in my 35 Whelen/AI. First up was every every ones favorite Whelen powder RL15. I didn't crono the loads because the range was muddy and I didn't want everything getting a coat of mud and have to clean it up.
Temps were in the mid 60's with bright sun, couldn't ask for better weather.
First up was 59.0grs the first shot hit at 12:00 on the edge of the 2" bullseye the next 2 were at 5:00 and side by side on the edge of the bullseye. The next set loaded with 60.0grs basically did the same thing with 2 side by side almost touching and the third shot several inches out, 61.0grs 2 at 5:00 and the third shot at 7:00. There was a long wait between shots to keep the barrel as cool as possible. The OAL measured off the Ogive was 2.750" which was 3.390" .010" short of magazine length.
My first thoughts were here we go again with the old 2 in one out. All shots would have harvested game if shooting for the vitals.
Next up was loads charged with CFE223 I seated these so I had .358" of bullet in the case and measured 2.746" off the Ogive.
64.5 grs yielded a 2" triangle. Next up was 65.5grs same OAL and produce 3 shot triangle at 1:00 that measured .555"X.539" :shock: I'll need to reshoot this one to verify it wasn't a fluke. 66.5 grs went into a vertical string and I don't know why.
The CFE223 loads were loaded in Remington brass and the RL15 loads in Nosler brass.
Here's some pictures of the targets.
I think CFE223 and my 35 Whelen/AI were made for each other. I did change windage and elevation to center the loads since they were shooting low and right after the second group fired with RL15.
The 1/2" group is probably running some where around 2750fps.

Attachments

• KIMG0304.jpeg
    KIMG0304.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 339
  • KIMG0306.jpeg
    KIMG0306.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 339
  • KIMG0305.jpeg
    KIMG0305.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 339
  • KIMG0307.jpeg
    KIMG0307.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 339
  • KIMG0309.jpeg
    KIMG0309.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 336
Oooh...that 65.5gr load looks like the "berries" to me pard! Again, you still have to factor in the recoil/the light weight of the rifle/your heartbeat/breathing...and "abosulutely most important- you 'simply have" to be holding your mouth right! :) Good shooting/handloading!

Roger,

Looks like you may have found Utopia with that CFE223 load.
Well done sir.

JD338

preacher":kv2t6zpw said:
Oooh...that 65.5gr load looks like the "berries" to me pard! Again, you still have to factor in the recoil/the light weight of the rifle/your heartbeat/breathing...and "abosulutely most important- you 'simply have" to be holding your mouth right! :) Good shooting/handloading!
You may have hit on something I have done since I started handloading and shooting Bullseye pistol competition. Recoil control with the .45 1911. I experimented with various powders and springs till I got the felt recoil pulse I wanted and could control for accurate shooting.
The RE15 loads though similar in velocity had more felt recoil as compared to the CFE223 loads it also has a slightly slower burn rate which doesn't give as sharp felt recoil so the recoil pulse would be slower. That's something we don't seem to look at with rifles we just add muzzle breaks to change the felt recoil instead of the powder.

JD338":l7mhkci9 said:
Roger,

Looks like you may have found Utopia with that CFE223 load.
Well done sir.

JD338
Thanks Jim it's been a long time coming and I was ready to give up on the barrel and replace it. Now to stock up CFE223 before it disappears.

Indeed...my old 35 Whelan AI and the 200X,TTSX preferred H322...in time, I gathered up plenty. Same with R15 and the heavier bullets. Your rifle will "always tell you" what it likes IF we take a bit of time and money to experiment. I feel so very sorry for the 400 pound, 9ft+ black bear you will take this spring! it makes my old heart "weep". ( For you with joy! ha)

Back