BLR on the bench.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Yesterday in my travels I got by a place that had scope bases to fit. Mounted up a Sig Sauer 2-7x32 that's not being used right now. Not hard to look at. I just might really like this little rifle. Warming up to it pretty quickly.

When doing initial testing with iron sights, 43 gr's of IMR 4350 caused a stiff lever on ejection. I wanted to double check that today because nothing else appeared that it should be over pressure and I was using fired cases not fired in this rifle and thought it might of just been a tight case.

Glad I double checked. 43 gr's no problem, 43.5 no problem, 44gr's no problem. I stopped at that. Primers look like normal up to pressure loads.

Had a couple loaded up with 87 gr Speer's to get the scope dialed in, then shot the 115 Partitions at 100 yds.

Overall group is 1 1/8". The 43.5 and 44 are 1/2". Think I'll load up some at 43.8 and try it. Speeds are showing I shouldn't push the issue much farther with a 20" barrel.

Well, now, that's some very gratifying work. Those results have to be most pleasing for you. I can see how it would be easy to be satisfied with the BLR. I've loved all of them that I owned, admittedly all chambered in 358 Win. Still, were I to find one in the little 257 Bob, I believe I could snap it up.

DrMike":1n4wjkav said:
Well, now, that's some very gratifying work. Those results have to be most pleasing for you. I can see how it would be easy to be satisfied with the BLR. I've loved all of them that I owned, admittedly all chambered in 358 Win. Still, were I to find one in the little 257 Bob, I believe I could snap it up.

Yes sir Dr Mike, quite pleased with it, neat rifle I think, especially in the Roberts......seems like such an easy cartridge to shoot. Really like the 257 Ackley I picked up also what little I've shot it.

P.S. When I said it's not hard to look at, I meant the rifle not the scope. :lol: The scope I've not warmed up to the large rear ocular it wears, but it works fine otherwise. I'm thinking the Leupold VX-3 that JD suggested would fit it nicely for the remainder of it's time in my hands anyways. Will have to build my pocket cash back up.

Sharp rifle and it’s a shooter too. I’ve always loved those BLR’s, but I’ve yet to own one. Always wanted a 257 bob too, seems like a great whitetail setup you have there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a VX3i 2.5-8X36 on my last BLR. It was just about right. I wouldn't diss the scope you have on there now. The large ocular can grow on you if the scope performs well. I haven't used any of the Sig scopes, but I've sure heard a lot of good things about them.

DrMike":2h31ywpl said:
I had a VX3i 2.5-8X36 on my last BLR. It was just about right. I wouldn't diss the scope you have on there now. The large ocular can grow on you if the scope performs well. I haven't used any of the Sig scopes, but I've sure heard a lot of good things about them.

There's nothing wrong with it really. Has a circle plex reticle. Good reticle for close in moving shots, and certainly useable for longer shots.

Just that it has a large kind of tactical looking ocular and the magnification knob is a synthetic or plastic blend. Just doesn't fit this era of rifle really, but that's all just opinion. I think the VX3 would be a cleaner fit for this rifle to finish it off. If I come up with one this yr, great. If not I wont sweat it for now.

Cleveland48":1ftvt687 said:
Sharp rifle and it’s a shooter too. I’ve always loved those BLR’s, but I’ve yet to own one. Always wanted a 257 bob too, seems like a great whitetail setup you have there.

Thank you. Pretty cool little outfit I think but everybody's flavors are different, no point in owning a rifle that doesn't do it for you.

Only thing I can fault it for right off is that it's in a short action. But it is what it is, I'll just enjoy it for what it is and not try to change it into something else.

I don't know how those things work with patent rights and so forth, but if Ned Roberts would've partnered with somebody like Parker Hale with an intermediate length action, or insisted that Remington release the cartridge in a longer action and not loaded at their weak pressures they used, things would've been way different.

Yes I agree should of been in an intermediate action length or just a long action. My little Ruger African in 275 rigby is on a long action, and it really helps.

Cleveland48":3ecgil79 said:
Yes I agree should of been in an intermediate action length or just a long action. My little Ruger African in 275 rigby is on a long action, and it really helps.

Yep the way Remington released it sure didn't duplicate the results Roberts was getting. There's nothing wrong with it as is. Dandy whitetail cartridge, just wasn't released and subsequently marketed in a manner that allowed it to show it's potential.

Loaded at +P pressures wakes it up. Beyond that put into a longer action allows it to breathe and comfortably be pushed even farther.

What I got will work just happily fine I'm sure, but I still think the ideal bullet for the Roberts in a short action like this might be the 100 gr Partition. Is short enough to not be cramping case capacity too bad, can zing it along pretty darn good, and is tough enough to handle most anything you'd use the Roberts for.

The 100 gr Speer HC's might also be a good choice in this rifle for just whitetail. Shorter than the 100 gr Partition, though certainly not as tough.

I've got a 700 Classic in 257 Roberts. This is on a long action so I can seat bullet very long. I'm using the 115 gr BT with RL22 and worked up a charge weight with QL that is getting 3100 fps with no over pressure signs, long case life and sub .5 MOA accuracy. It's darn near 25-06 performance. Your correct that you can unleash the dragon with a long action 257 Roberts.

JD338

JD338":1xan450a said:
I've got a 700 Classic in 257 Roberts. This is on a long action so I can seat bullet very long. I'm using the 115 gr BT with RL22 and worked up a charge weight with QL that is getting 3100 fps with no over pressure signs, long case life and sub .5 MOA accuracy. It's darn near 25-06 performance. Your correct that you can unleash the dragon with a long action 257 Roberts.

JD338

Yes sir, great example. That's impressive. With it's 20" barrel in a SA, I'm basically running a glorified 250AI, which there's nothing wrong with at all. 100 gr bullets I'd probably be able to widen the gap a little farther.

You're running a completely different show from the same cartridge. You should've been on the engineering or marketing team at Remington. (y) :grin:

Great looking rifle! And it seems like your loads are coming together quickly.

The 115's are terrific bullets, and you're pushing them at plenty of velocity for good results on game.

Thanks for the update. All I can offer is congratulations on your progress so far. (y)

Guy Miner":3cu62vdm said:
Great looking rifle! And it seems like your loads are coming together quickly.

The 115's are terrific bullets, and you're pushing them at plenty of velocity for good results on game.

Thanks for the update. All I can offer is congratulations on your progress so far. (y)

Thanks. Yeah doing nicely so far the little I've shot it. Fun little rifle to shoot. Recoil is of course mild. If/when components are readily available I'd like to test it also with 100 gr speers and 100 gr partitions. As is, I'll either zero this scope when the time comes, or a Leupold if I pick one up, and that'll be that.

Back