Booked It!-now what rifle?

Firebird

Handloader
Jun 22, 2013
After some deliberation I have booked my next trip to South Africa. The Ph I went with in 2022 offered a hunt for buffalo, kudu and impala, all expenses included for $10k. He let interested parties book now on into 2025 so I wired my deposit of $1000 to secure july21-29 in 2025.
While there if time and success allow, I would like to try and take mtn reedbuck, ostrich, bushbuck and/or springbok.
I’ll take my .375 wby which I have loads worked up for 300 gr which will be good for the buffalo. I can quick Release this scope and put on a plains game scope that is sighted in with 235 bullets which would work for everything else.
OR-I could take a second rifle for the plains game. I have taken My .300 wm and. .30-06 previously and no problems there. So was thinking perhaps taking my 7mm-08 and 150 gr ablr. On this trip.
Second rifle in the same case as the .375 for travel and nonissues transporting ammunition for both. It might be in the small side for kudu but would be plenty for the others. If I take a second rifle I won’t take the plains game scope for the big gun, just its heavy dangerous game Scope and bullets.
Would be happy with any of the options, but given these options. What would YOU do?IMG_6166.jpegIMG_6141.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats!
I would seriously consider the 7mm-08.
Take the one you are most comfortable and confident with.

We are going to South Africa in May for sable and springbok for my wife, and kudu, nyala and bushbuck for me.
Finished paying for the hunt on Friday and am just waiting for the invoice to pay for the flights now.
We will be taking my 6.5 Creedmoor (LH X Bolt All Weather) shooting Federal Premium 130 gr Terminal Ascent ammunition.
This worked very well in New Zealand last spring for red stag fallow buck and arapawa rams from 121 to 296 yards. All were one shot kills with complete penetration, and the fallow buck travelled the farthest after the shot (jumping the low bush it was standing behind and falling about 15 yards downslope).
After talking to our African Outfitter, he confirmed that this would work just fine for our intended species. They have a 6.5 CM in camp now and they have been having great success on the larger antelope with it, including kudu and similar sized game, which he admitted he was a little skeptical about at first.
This was the rifle that most of the 70 Canadian school kids who went there last August used for their hunts (many of which was for their first hunts ever).

I had wanted to take my 338 Federal as well...and still may...just because I would like to hunt with it there. Although this will add to the costs for the extra case and baggage fees, etc.

Just buy a double rifle case. I took a 4 gun case when we went in 2001. Even though it was over 50lbs they only charged the over size fee.

Ah 2 of my favorites , 375 Wby and 7-08. You’ll be set with both of these. Good luck next year.

Congratulations on booking your safari. The 375 Wby and 7-08 sounds like a good combo to me.

JD338

I did the two scope set up on my 375 H&H years ago when shooting a 300 vs 235 grain bullet. It became more of a hassle, so I have used only the 300 grain the past 20 years.
Last year I used a two gun battery and it worked well.
Just my 2 cents

Variety is the spice of life, so they say. I see no reason the 7mm-08 would not be a great addition to the trip.

Back