Bore Solvents

G

I've been using CR-10 Bore Cleaner for years, tried Sweets also. Anyone have good success with anything else to take the copper out?

Don

Don
I've switched from CR-10 to sweets to Butches to kg-10, they all work well.
Now I use Outers foaming bore cleaner. I find it works very well for not stinking up the house and it does a descent job of cleaning.
After the first soaking I run a nylon brush through the barrel and it really seems to help loosen all the crud, after that I just soak and patch as normal until clean.
Depending on the rifle it may take only a couple applications(custom barrels) or a few hours of soaking and patching(factory barrels)

Randy

CR-10 and

18_th.JPG

I've used CR-10, Hoppes benchrest and montana extreme. Switched over to Boretech copper plus and feel that this product works faster and has no odor whatsoever. Use J&B occasionally and find that also works great.

Not sure if this is a known thing but I learned from Barnes that after cleaning with CR-10, flush the barrel with a non-chlorinated auto brake spray cleaner to neutralize the CR-10. Then proceed with dry patches and onto applying some sort of bore protection lubricant.

The flushing thing really works!

Pop,
I used J/B years ago actually forgot about it. Thanks

Thanks to all, good input.

Don

I use shooter's choice copper solvent with great results. It turns blue when it touches copper so it's very easy to tell if you got it all out.

I recently switched to Butches Bore shine and I really like it. Gets copper and carbon fouling out pretty quickly. I used to use one of the foaming boar cleaners until I could no longer find it in town, ticked me off I loved the stuff.

Corey

I've used Hoppes #9 powder solvent for years and I use a bore brush to run it thru the bore first then go with the powder solvent. I like Hoppes,but I also have some Montana Extreme bore solvent which I caught on sale from Midway USA awhile back which I haven't tried yet. To me,if you run a bore brush thru a few times, it helps to loosen the residue,then use what ever kind of solvent you prefer.

7mm's forever and a 30 cal. will "Slam Dunk Um"

Don, CR-10 and Sweets are two of the strongest copper-fouling removers on the market. At least that I've tried.

One thing I've gotten used to is that some of my rougher factory barrels are almost impossible to get spotless. Likely my worst offender was my factory Remington .25-06 when I ran some 100 gr Barnes soft-copper bullets through it at 3300+ fps. Now that was one fouled barrel in short order!

The combo of a rough bore, soft copper bullets, and high velocity was very effective at plating the inside of the barrel a beautiful copper color... Took a lot of work to get rid of it.

The past couple of years I've been using "Patch Out" a version of "Wipe Out" but applied via a rod & brush rather than sprayed in as foam. Let it work for a while, and I'm getting barrels that are quite clean, without a lot of work on my part.

Or, you can just use the copper fouling as a great reason to treat yourself to a hand-lapped custom Krieger barrel! They don't foul much, not much at all.

Best of luck, Guy

Lately I have been using a mixture of Shooters Choice bore solvent mixed wih Kroil.
Kroil is a penetrating oil. It seems to somehow get behind the copper fouling and the carbon too and make it easier to knock it all loose.
For copper I have always used Sweets. A buddy who is a benchrest shooter told me to follow the Sweets with a patch soaked in hydrogine peroxide. If there is any copper in the bore the peroxide will foam as you push the patch out of the bore.
Patch it with bore solvent again to remove the peroxide and start over.

The same fella also told me to mix General Motors top engine cleaner with automatic transmission fluid. The top engine cleaner is a carbon remover and the ATF is a penetrant. Dry patch the barrel then foul it.(GM top engine cleaner is no longer available)

Unforutanetly all my sticks seem to shoot better with a bit of fouling.I get them real clean and groups go to hell. Oh well,minute of whitetail is still 10 inches at 100 yards?

The amazing thing about this blog is the wealth of information we all share. What a blessing and privilege it is to be a member, thank you Nosler for providing this site to us all. :)

I find CR-10 to be excellent in cleaning and removing copper, but very aggressive as well, Sweets is kind of ok too. I may give J/B another try, used it previously. Often was curious how Shooters Choice and Butch's Bore Cleaner would work.

Guy,
You are so dead on about copper fouling at that velocity. I noticed more copper build up shooting this 300 Ultra Mag at 3300-3400 fps with any copper bullet vs. the current AccuBond bullet. It took forever to get it clean. Guess that's the trade off for burning lots of powder with all the heat. My 30-06 shoots the Accubonds as well
and I'm done cleaning in very little time.

Don

I use CR-10 and Sweets on my own rifles that are under .323 calibre. Anything over .323 calibre, I use G-96 Copper Solvent. In medium bore and large bore calibres, it seems that G-96 Copper Solvent cleans more thoroughly and more quickly. I can't say that this is a scientific observation, but in my experience, it does appear to hold true in general. For rough bores (or throats), I judiciously use J & B until the roughness ceases to be a problem. For customers rifles, I use Butch's Bore Shine. These are almost always custom rifles with excellent barrels (Kreiger, Pac-Nor, Shilen, etc.). I use this because I want the owner to use good rifle care, and I believe the simpler it is, the more likely they will be to use the product.

I use Sweets 7.62 and JB's Bore Paste for the copper tough spots. Butch's Bore Shine as a general solvent and Rem Oil for protection.

JD338

My favorite is Butch's Bore Shine for bore solvent and if I want it super clean follow it up with JB.

I use Butch's oil on all my bolt action rifles and BFCLP for everything else.

I have switched to Bore Tech and it is the best so far. Start with the carbon remover and then finish with copper remover.

Basically I use Butch's Bore Shine, with the occasional Montana Extreme Copper Killer thrown in as needed. Finish up with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner. +1 on the ease of clean up with Kreiger barrels.

Back