Goofy off the wall question.....

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
Been a while since I posted about anything. My question is about "proportionality". I'm old and so is my cartridge selection. I have always thought there are cartridges that for all intents and purposes are sort of in proportion. Like isn't a .223 sort of in proportion to a 30-06, and that in proportion to a .375? Kinda like if you just played with zooming in and out on the pictures one would look just like the next? It just seems to me there is a similarity there and it might have contributed to the success of each over the years. Even so, I love my .25-06!

If I recall correctly, the 222 Rem is the 30-06 scaled down...but someone can correct me if I am wrong...I seem to recall it being a popular varmint cartridge from back in the day that they scaled the '06 down to.
Not sure if anyone scaled up from one cartridge to another...50 BMG??

If I recall correctly, the 222 Rem is the 30-06 scaled down...but someone can correct me if I am wrong...I seem to recall it being a popular varmint cartridge from back in the day that they scaled the '06 down to.
Not sure if anyone scaled up from one cartridge to another...50 BMG??
I kinda recall the same, the 222 Rem, 30-06 and 50 BMG are all proportionally the same. Too lazy to look up the case drawings, but the do look quite similar.

So glad my fuzzy recall wasn't all just imagination. I'll bet there other little brother/big brother combos.

Affirmative sir!
Correct. 12.7mm x 60% = 7.62mm. The 30-03 was designed in 1903. The 50 BMG entered service in 1910 and was an upscaled 30-03 Springfield. That’s why a 50BMG operates at essentially the same velocities as the 30-06.

I was annealing some 338 Lapua brass this evening and can’t help noticing that it mirrors 308 Win in shape.

Back