223 300 yard ladder N540/75g ELDM

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Well I was able to get out this afternoon and finish my ladder with the 223 N540/75g ELDM with Lapua cases and 7.5 primers.

5 of the 6 shots went into a 1" group and I think I'm gonna play around 24.6-24.8g for around 2975fps just to be on the safe side for now. Those 2 shots were almost touching and speeds were only 20fps from each other.

I also pierced another primer, this time at 25.6g at 3086fps. Which in all honesty is a bit hot, but didn't think I'd pierce the 7.5s

So I measured my firing pin after some research and recommendations, and it's .076" That's where the problem truly lies I believe. The force it's hitting these small primers is just to much with upper end loads and the bigger firing pin, causing the piercing. Looks like a bushing to my firing pin is in the near future to cure the cratering and piercing issue...

Looks like the rifle and myself is going to love this N540 combo. Showing great promise with both speed and accuracy. Going to go buy the last 3# of it tomorrow before its gone.

Snapchat-1640638313.jpg

Well I was able to get out this afternoon and finish my ladder with the 223 N540/75g ELDM with Lapua cases and 7.5 primers.

5 of the 6 shots went into a 1" group and I think I'm gonna play around 24.6-24.8g for around 2975fps just to be on the safe side for now. Those 2 shots were almost touching and speeds were only 20fps from each other.

I also pierced another primer, this time at 25.6g at 3086fps. Which in all honesty is a bit hot, but didn't think I'd pierce the 7.5s

So I measured my firing pin after some research and recommendations, and it's .076" That's where the problem truly lies I believe. The force it's hitting these small primers is just to much with upper end loads and the bigger firing pin, causing the piercing. Looks like a bushing to my firing pin is in the near future to cure the cratering and piercing issue...

Looks like the rifle and myself is going to love this N540 combo. Showing great promise with both speed and accuracy. Going to go buy the last 3# of it tomorrow before its gone.

View attachment 22292
Nice little cluster there, you getting there. I wanted to ask, are you seeing any ejector marks on the heads on the higher pressured rounds?

Are you seeing heavy cratering on the primers before you pierce one? Most of my SRP rifles have a turned to 0.062” firing pin , made big difference.

Not getting ejector marks or hard bolt lift, just cratered primers literally on everything middle to upper end load wise, and the 3rd primer pierced out of 100 rounds so far.

Trying to get a hold of a guy that goes by Carlsbad to get it done, but that's proving to be kind of difficult. Gre-Tan hasn't been accepting any new work for a while, so that route is a no go.

Any other recommendations??

Gre Tan had bushed my bolt once before, he did great work. Quick turn around time too.
Tell Gregg, "Hi!" for me.
He has done several of mine as well, many years ago.
He also built my #3 and #4 center-grip XP-100's back in the day: 6.5-284 and a 7.82 Patriot

I did! I sent it to Jerry Stephenson known as Carlsbad on the snipers hide and Accurate shooter forums. I should have it back in a few days I would Imagine. Sent it out last Friday, he said maybe a week. So we're getting close to being back at it! Got a new Forster ultra micrometer seater die to try out also. The RCBS seater just wasn't cutting it with the ELDMs.

Last edited:
I did! I should have it back in a few days I would Imagine. Sent it out last Friday, he said maybe a week. So we're getting close to being back at it! Got a new Forster ultra micrometer seater die to try out also. The RCBS seater just wasn't cutting it with the ELDMs.
I was wondering what was slowing you down :cool:

Back