Boys new rifle

Wife was over shoulder when i was reading the post. Quote "Of all people Scotty has no ammo for a new rifle?" :lol: Hope you guys can get some ammo and go out and have fun with it buddy.

Yeah, I know! Man, I wished I could go back in time. I live .7 of a mile from Walmart and totally forgot to get some for him last night. That is why I don't by rimfires! Easier for me to always have brass, primers and bullets on hand! Should have gotten a Hornet or some 17 cal centerfire!!! At least I would have something to do right now other than surfing the net! Scotty

Scotty,

I am not sure of the exact load, but its the HP version, bullet made by Sierra I think.
A few years ago, one of my customers reached down behind his desk and held up a phone book. He had a 17 HMR and wanted to show me the power it has. A .17 cal hole in the front cover and a massive hole out the back side. I was shocked to see what the little 17 HMR had done!

Check it out if you can.

JD338

I will Jim. Probably going to get a couple different boxes if they have them tomorrow, just to see what shoots best in his rifle. Lots of good options for it. Scotty

JD338":2cv8yum1 said:
Scotty,

I am not sure of the exact load, but its the HP version, bullet made by Sierra I think.
A few years ago, one of my customers reached down behind his desk and held up a phone book. He had a 17 HMR and wanted to show me the power it has. A .17 cal hole in the front cover and a massive hole out the back side. I was shocked to see what the little 17 HMR had done!

Check it out if you can.

JD338

Was it any of these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=597385

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=313521

Thanks Mike. I will let the boy read through them some! Scotty

beretzs":3fx2m9y6 said:
JD338":3fx2m9y6 said:
Scotty,

Check it out if you can.

JD338

Was it any of these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=597385

Scotty,

As I recall, it was the Speer 17 gr TNT bullet that wnnt through the phone book.

JD338

Sounds good! I will look for it tomorrow when we go shoot. I had the boy read through the links Mike posted. He is getting excited to shoot now. Hopefully an unsuspecting squirrel pops out for him! Scotty

Aw, with that rifle, even a "suspecting" squirrel is at risk. The critters will learn quickly enough to keep their heads down.

Hope so! It should be a blast. I haven't been excited to shoot rimfires in a LONG time. Still might take the 22-250 along for some distance shooting, but it will be a mainly rimfire day! Scotty

It sounds like a very happy boy got a very accurate rifle. He must have impressed Santa pretty good. The 17 is a little light for coyotes but I popped one in my back yard and it did a full back flip and ran about 20 feet and I think 19 of them was due to inertia. DRT.
Good Hunting
Greg

Nice, that is great to hear Greg. He has a 243 for a dedicated yote rifle if needed. This is his first full sized rimfire. Figure it will be good for killing grouse, squirrels and anything else while trapping with his grandfather. Scotty

Outstanding! What a great little rifle, and the lad looks well pleased with it. He should be!

The .17 put a big grin on my son's face a while back too. Accuracy is great. There's no recoil, and the things smack small varmints very well. I think you're both going to enjoy that little rifle.

Guy

Just now chiming in but that is an AWESOME looking rifle, Scotty!! I know your son is very proud of it! Get him a ghillie suit and he's on his way to sniper training. :grin:
I know the two of you will have a blast shooting it and spending time together in the field.

Here are a couple pictures from this mornings shoot. The boy and I went to Wal Mart and got some Federal Premium 17gr V-Max and Winchester Supreme 17gr V-Max. I am assuming they are the same bullet. I also picked up some Remington 33gr Accu Tips for my 22WMR. I didn't wanna get left out of the rimfire shooting, and I have never used anything but Winchester 40gr JHP's in the rifle in the past. It was about 28* today, so it was pretty chilly, I know my boy doesn't have quite the meat on his bones his Pop's does, but he seemed to do okay.

DSC03395.jpg

Man, that little 17HMR is pretty sweet. Savage did well. The Accu Trigger is awesome, compared to the creepy, heavy monster my old Marlin 22 Mag is. My boy let me shoot one group after the rifle was zeroed.
DSC03398.jpg

Here is the 100 yard group the boy shot. We zeroed it 1.5" high at 100 yards. According to the 2550FPS this seemed like a good point.
DSC03397.jpg

He did really well with the rifle, cold temps and the wind blowing all over heck. It has to have a decent effect on those little bullets. I know it shoves my 22WMR pretty well also.

Now, man, those 33gr Accu Tips from Remington, those things shoot! I mean they shoot really well. I hoped a little bunny or something would show itself, but it was pretty nasty out today. This is one 3 shot group from a 100 yards
DSC03400.jpg

Here is another, I pulled one out, but still a decent shooting load.
DSC03399.jpg

Here was the final group from the 22WMR
DSC03396.jpg

And here are some pictures of the boy shooting some groups from our bench. We really didn't have much set up. Just a front bag, a back pack, and that was about it. Good enough to get some trigger time though.
DSC03391.jpg

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03389.jpg

DSC03392.jpg

DSC03393.jpg

I also had my 22-250 out there, in order to verify my 250 yard zero with the 60gr PT's and RL15. The boy put three shots in a 2" circle at 250! Heck, I didn't do too much better than that, but I was happy. First time I have shot them at range and they are holding their accuracy. They could be better, but they will do until warmer weather comes to do more pleasurable load work. Anyhow, just wanted to show you all some pictures from Northern Va. Woodycreek is getting some good snow down his way, so I am thinking of getting down there and calling some coyotes! Scotty

Scotty,

Thats great, glad you were able to get your son out to shoot his new 17 HMR. He shoots very well too! :lol:

JD338

Thanks Jim. He was pretty proud of himself. Now, we have to go find some gray squirrels to toast. Heck some gray's skinned and cleaned with a little BBQ sauce sounds like a good appetizer. Scotty

Holy crap! Time to hunt!

That Savage you posted looks sweet! My boys rifle is a nice carrying hunting rifle. Be nice to blast some coons or something with it! Scotty

Back