Brass question

G

As brass has escalated in price pretty substantially over the past year or two, I am now wondering if my prior practice of retiring anything with pressure signs (ie - ejector marks) and using it only for dummy rounds is still wise, or if there's really no reason not to re-use this brass with known safe loads. I have stuff in various calibers that has case-head marks or such, or was particularly sticky to extract, but doesn't have marks on the case head, and up to now, I've just put them all in a baggie and kept them off to the side for use as dummy cases. I probably have 10-15rds of a couple of calibers, and a few rounds of others. I'd like to go back and re-use some of these, as they are just about all once fired or twice fired, so they have plenty of neck life left. Any thoughts?

If you are sure the marks were caused by pressure, I would not reuse them. Run a feeler on the inside of the case and check for case head seperation. At times, a low pressure load can give the appearance of a high pressure load. Even if the brass were $1.00 per case, that is far less than blowing a rifle or hurting yourself.Rick.

Any case I find suspect or I ruined while trimming :roll: :lol: goes in a Misc. jug. Also any brass I might find lying around that I do not reload. I figure when I get enough I'll stop by the salvage center and sell it. Depending on where you live, brass can go for $1.00 a pound.

I agree with the others, I would toss any questionable brass.
Its cheap insurance.

JD338

pressure signs yea i would toss but extractor marks??

i get extractor marks alot of times from my semi auto's and they are fine

Alright, that's my typo.

Ejector marks.

Sorry.

I think it depends on the conditions. I have a .300 Weatherby that provides an ejector mark on every Norma case I use, but there is no sticky bolt lift and the primer pocket stays tight for 4 or 5 rounds. I have checked these cases on the RCBS Case Master and not found any problems.

If I were you, I would probably try seating primers and if the pockets were still tight, then I would use them with lighter loads. On the other hand, if the pockets are loose, or you start getting a ring above the case head, then I would definitely toss the brass.

Ian

Back