Browning A-Bolt

Canuck

Beginner
Nov 26, 2006
I'm thinking of purchasing the Browning M-1000 a-bolt eclipse blued in
the 300wsm. Would like some feedback please. Is it a decent shooter?
Is it reliable? How's the barrel? etc...

Thanks in advance
Mike

P.S. I'm planning on getting it without the boss.

Brownings are incredibly accurate for out of the box rifles. However, theres not to many aftermarket parts for abolts, unfortunately. I think the barrel/receiver fit is a pain. Find a good gunsmith and you'll be ok though. I bet with simple trigger work and bedding, good reload, and a good scope, it would be a great 1000 yd factory rifle. If your looking at doing any customizing in the future, a rem 700 is hard to beat and endless options, as well as being just as accurate as any browning. Just my .02 cents worth!! Have a good one.

Well I was looking at the remington sendero sf II in the 300 mag.
What's your thoughts on that one? The only thing is I don't want to
buy a rifle and then put all sorts of mods on it. Maybe a trigger
job but that's about it.

Sendero IMO is probly the best out of the box factory 1000 yard rifle, I think a lot of others would tend to agree. A trigger job and reloads is the only real thing to do. All my rem 700's will shoot at least 3/4 MOA to 800 yards. These are sporter weight rifles to, not sendero's!! Load that 300 WM with a 190 or 210g Berger VLD or 200g AB and you'll have a great 1000 yard target/deer/elk rifle, gaurunteed. Muzzle brakes are nice to see your own impacts at long range, if you have no spotter. They realy have nothing to do with accuracy in general. They are a lot louder though.

Remington 700's are tough to beat for out of the box accuracy. Trigger adjustment is easy to do and will get you to a crisp 2-2.5 lbs.
The Sendero II with good handloads should get you to .5MOA or even a little better. Go with a good quaity scope and you will be good to go.

JD338

My old Sendero shot 1 inch groups at 300 yards and all it needed was a trigger job. Can't go wrong with a Sendero.

remingtonman_25_06":2i7smz09 said:
Sendero IMO is probly the best out of the box factory 1000 yard rifle, I think a lot of others would tend to agree..

ABSOLUTELY!

I know 2 guys who own the eclipse in 300wm chambering. They are extremely heavy rigs as i am sure you've noticed!!! Provides a benefit with recoil reduction though and staying locked on the target between shots. These 2 shoot good but not starkling better then any other abolt I have seen. Neither have any mods except trigger spring replacement and bipod(a must if you plan to hunt with it).

Sendero would be my choice as well, though I prefer the 700 action over the abolt.

Back