Browning BAR question

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I was at a Scheels this past Saturday looking for a birthday present for myself and happened onto a Browning BAR Safari (?) 30-06 topped by an older model Redfield Widefield 3-9x40. I appeared in nice shape with a few honest hunting scars but the metal seemed very nice and wasn't reblued. I didn't have the opportunity to check the bore. The tag price was $799.99.

I didn't NEED it but it spoke to me. I haven't had much experience with BAR's and let it pass for that day. I called the store last night, obtained the serial number, and determined it was made in 1969.

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles and can comment on accuracy and reliability? I've done some online research and the results run the gamut from "good as a bolt gun" to "very picky and groups open fast with barrel heat" to "mediocre at best". I realize there are many factors at play in these results but know the forum members here will tell it like it is.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Ron,

I have shot a few BARs belonging to others--all delivered acceptable to "Oh, WOW!" accuracy. So long as the rifles were treated with respect, none of the people owning BARs with whom I hunted had problems with them performing during the hunt. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a BAR if I was in the market for a particular caliber and it was available. Can't comment on the going price for used BARs in the US market, however.

My father has hinted with the same BAR 30-06 since about the mid 80's. It was always lightly cleaned and that was about it. He never had a problem hunting with it. It actually wore the same scope you are mentioning as well.

It shot REALLY well with the 180 Partition as loaded by Federal. They were so good for him he bought a case of it back then and that was all he used. He zeroed that rifle 3" high at 100 yards and checked it every now and again.

It shot plain old Remington Core Lokts and other stuff pretty decent as well.

So, yeah, like Mike. If I wanted an auto loader, the BAR would be my choice.

I've messed with a few... all delivered pretty decent accuracy, a friend has one in .338WM that delivers stellar accuracy.

The only thing I really don't like about them is the trigger is pretty abysmal compared to a bolt gun and much harder to rectify. Of course the same thing runs true for their BLR as well. I just don't have the autoloader bug but the folks who have them seem to really like them.

The BAR's that I have shot were pretty accurate. They are a pretty nice rifle.

JD338

I'm going to be the odd man out.
Dad bought one in 300 Win about 1990.
Used Redfield one piece base and Redfield rings.
Mounted a 3x9x40 Leupy I robbed off one of my '06s.

I tried 5 different factory loads and 5 handloads in it over the course of the summer and it was a 3-6 MOA rifle at 100 yards.
Damn shame too cause it had fantastic wood on it.
Fortunately the LGS he bought it from took it back in trade on an ABolt.

I had one for awhile. Belgian made, .270 Winchester, probably around the same vintage as yours. Accuracy was stellar, sub MOA at 100 yards with the right load. There are some tricks to them. They need a full slam lockup to function reliably the first shot. This is not conducive to stealthy stand hunting. They are also a real bitch to thoroughly clean. You need a manual and a wide open countertop with nowhere for springs to hide. I had issues with mine functioning reliably in sub-freezing temperatures until I thoroughly cleaned and degreased the gas system. I would recommend forking out the money to have a professional do this every 200 rounds or so, IMHO it's not worth the trouble of doing it yourself unless you are really fond of tinkering. I sold mine for that reason.

Mine had a pretty good trigger pull, balanced and shot very well from field positions. When properly cleaned and lightly lubricated with LPS penetrating oil it was extremely reliable, but still needed the full slam lockup of the first round.

I've owned a few over the years, 06, 300 win and 338 win. All of them shot pretty danged well, using factory ammo. I never had any issues with jams or not feeding. The front sling stud can cause accuracy issues, tighten or loosen slightly to correct. The weight of the rifle is what got me to sell them.

I have had a small amount of experience with BARS. when I was 16, back in 1970, my boss I worked for after school, had one in 30-06. this was in East Texas and he didn't care for it because it was only reliable with 180gr ammo. Our deer were only around 90# on the hoof. It would jam with 150s. When I got out of the Army in '73, I bought a 7mm RM BAR. It was accurate, but had to be kept spotlessly clean. It would jam often with 175gr ( I used the heavy bullet to slow down expansion on those small deer). Later in life, in the late 90's I bought a new 338WM BAR and it did swell, I ended up giving that to a recoil sensitive buddy of mine. In 2001 I bought a used , older 270 Belgium made BAR and it shoots like a varmint rifle! So, I would encourage you to shoot 180s or, the lightest, 165s in your '06 BAR. It may also be beneficial to take it to a really good gunsmith and have it thoroughly cleaned, gas port and all. I had that done to mine and have not had an issue since. All it has had is cursory cleaning since! 15yrs ain;t bad! Also, when loading it, put in a full magazine, pull the bolt back all the way and let it go on its own, don't "ease it down" on the cartridge. Good luck to you Pard.

One warning; that Redfield widefield was notorious for fogging up. It may work swell...until it doesn't. they had trouble keeping it sealed. They were usually very good at tracking and responding to adjustments, but on a cold, wet morning, its clouded over. Take it off, put it in the freezer awhile, take it out and put in a sink of pretty warm water, watch for bubbles. Take it out, dry it off, wait awhile to see if moisture got inside. Not trying to rain on your parade either, I want to save you some heartache on opening morning, ha.

I appreciate all the responses. I knew I could count on the folks here to tell me the good and bad.

I haven't entirely decided what I'm going to do. Most of my time right now is occupied with starting my new job and getting acclimated there.

A part of me thinks the rifle would be kinda cool to own (since I don't have one) but another part thinks I should avoid any potential issues with dirty gas systems and focus more on a .338 Federal bolt gun.

Time will tell, I guess.

Ron

Nothing wrong with a 338 Federal! The best deal on them now is probably the Tikka. A younger friend of mine uses one on mule deer/elk out here. he uses the Barnes 185 TSX in the factory load. I have one in the Ruger Hawkeye SS and its a gem, just harder to find nowadays. I've made cases super easy, just run the 308 up into the FL 338 Fed die, your good to go! I got the Barnes 160 TTSX to a tad over 3000 fps with TAC. That's 7 mg territory, ha.

Preacher, I had a Tikka several years ago in 338 Federal and it was the proverbial lemon. I bought it brand new off Gunbroker and for whatever reason it would never shoot well at all. I bought factory ammo as well as loading my own and the best I ever got at 100 yds was about 2.5 and the norm ran 3.5-4. However, at 50 it would shoot dime sized groups all day long. I tried literally every bullet/powder combo I could find in manuals, the internet, or from posters here and nothing worked. I checked screws, mounts, and had other people shoot it to try and eliminate every possibility I could think of and the results were always the same. I emailed Beretta about the problem and haven't received a reply as of this minute.

I have a whole herd of Tikkas in other calibers and have had nothing but good luck with them so I know this was a fluke. I've been looking at some of the 338/Tikka offerings on Gunbroker and that is partially why I'm hesitating on this BAR.

Ron

Back