New toy for me: Sako 75

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I was at a Scheels sporting goods store yesterday and ran across a used Sako 75 stainless synthetic 300 Win Mag topped with a Nikon Titanium 5.5-16.5x scope. I was surprised to see the tag read $799.99 since I would have expected a Sako to bring more than that. I did some online research and found both items were discontinued some time ago. I wasn't looking for anything like this, but it spoke to me and my gut told me it was the thing to do, so I bought it.

According to the guys at Scheels, the previous owner won it in a raffle but didn't like the recoil after firing 3 shots, then put it in his safe and left it there until he traded/sold it this past Tuesday. Based on the appearance of the bolt face and the rest of the gun, I wouldn't doubt this is true.

I don't know exactly what year the rifle was made but Blue Book said this variant was manufactured 1997-2007 so, potentially, this rifle could have been a safe queen for 10 years or more. In researching the scope, I found a 2010 listing from Midway USA pricing it at $649.95 with several positive reviews.

Although it wasn't something I NEEDED, I felt it was a good deal and have high expectations for the rifle.

Does anyone here have experience with either the rifle or scope?

Ron

You probably made a typo when you listed the Nikon as a 5.5-6.5X.

Good luck with your new rifle, it sounds like a nice package.

Good eye, Charlie, you are correct. I fixed it though.

Ron

I know you stole it. I bought the same rifle and caliber in 2000 for around $900.00 new without the scope. I have 2 Sako 75 rifles. Very smooth actions. Very easy to load for and they seem to like about anything. Sako 75 is Much better than the Sako 85. My 85 in 300wsm has been a PITA. Elk, Deer, Antelope and Moose with 180 PT. This past year I have been playing with 200 AB. Hope to drop something this Fall soon. I did hunt Deer and Elk today. Passed on a decent Deer. It was really to warm to get serious.

The previous owner had saved the original boxes from the rifle and scope. In the scope box I found a receipt from September, 2004, that indicated the scope sold for $600 at that time. I estimated the rifle probably sold for around $1000 at the time and this was borne out by Brian's statement. (Thanks, Brian!) Based on this, I'm guessing the rifle was made in the early 2000's.

I took it to the range yesterday to zero it and shot some Federal blue box 180 Speers through it. Nothing spectacular but I would estimate the groups were in the .75 range. So, I'm hoping that handloading will bring out even more accuracy.

Ron

Man, 3/4's from Federal Blue Box 180's. That might be one of those I'd zero and buy another box or two and hunt it this year :mrgreen:

Scotty,
This was a box I've had for several years. I'm gonna load either some 150's or 165's to hunt deer with since that's all I'll be able to use this rifle for this year (unless a coyote runs past :lol: )

Speaking of which, does anyone have any favorite recipes for these bullet weights?

Ron

A quality .30 cal magnum is a wonderful rifle to have in the inventory. Congrats!

Guy

Ron,

Congrats on the great buy!

The Sako 75 is a very good rifle, with a very smooth action, and as stated above, 3/4" groups with blue box ammo is a great starting point. I would not hesitate to hunt most big game species with that combination.

I know that there were some concerns with the magazine dropping out of the rifle during recoil...on heavy calibers...but I believe that there is a simple fix that a gunsmith can perform to mitigate this issue. (Magazine catch/release adjustment)

I cannot comment firsthand on the Nikon scope, but know that the latter models get good performance reviews.

In my preparation for a range trip this morning I came across a box of my reloads using 150 ABs over 68.0 gr of IMR 4350. I don't recall why I picked this load, or the source, since it's a very mild one for the powder. Anyway, I figured it would be something to shoot at the range to test besides the factory loads I'd already tried.

At the range I got my gear set up and fired the first three shot group. I could tell both through the rifle scope and spotting scope it looked really good but I didn't have a caliper to measure it with. It put two through essentially the same hole and another slightly left.

I shot two more groups but I guess I'd expended my day's allotment of skill/luck because they weren't as good. When I got home I measured the first group and found it was .179 :shock: (y) This is the second best group I've shot in my entire life. The other two groups measured .69 and .73.

I talked to my hunting/shooting buddy and the next project is to get some 190 ABLR's and see what the rifle will do with those. If anyone has some recipes or suggestions in loading those and is willing to share, I'd truly appreciate it.

Ron

Grab some H1000, RL26 or IMR 7977 or 7828 SSC. I'm betting if they are going to shoot one of those will get it done. That's a heckuva good Bullet for a 300 Magnum.

Back