Browning Hi-Power rifle stock

Divernhunter

Handloader
Apr 1, 2009
I just picked up a older Browning Hi-Power model 264Win mag bolt action rifle made in Belgium. It has the mil 98 looking action.
I would like to put a B&C stock on it. I am not sure which will fit. Has anyone ever replaced the stock on one of these? If so what model stock did you use?

On a side note anyone know about what one is worth? I got the original box of ammo it had and there are 11 rounds left. The rifle is in very excellent condition with no stock dings.

Divernhunter, There were a number of years that Browning used salt in the process of making the gunstocks of their highpower rifles. I'm not sure of the dates but from what I've heard the salt does cause corrosion problems. Maybe someone on the forum can add to this.

I took the stock off and all is well. But I will keep an eye on it.
I am considering a B&C syn stock for it if I keep it.
I already have a custom 264 that shoots great so I am trying to decide if I really need this one.

Man, I'm a M70 nut but those Brownings are awesome hunting rifles as well. A 264 Win Mag is ultra cool. Not sure about stocks but I'd bet if you call McMillan they might be able to give you some info on inletting.

Mauser 98 Commercial - Long Action - Large Ring (7-13/16" Between Lug Holes, 1-3/8" Front Receiver Ring) Cut standard for a commercial short floorplate, and a factory #1 barrel contour. A #3 contour barrel channel also available on request at no charge. (99% Press Fit Inlet)
Browning FN, Centurion, Husqvarna FN, Santa Barbara, Sako Magnum FN, Interarms Mark X, Musketeer, FN, FN 400

This is from Richards microfit action inlets page. Without looking at the action, I think what you would need is 98 commercial long action FN.

IMHO, you have a classic rifle in a classic caliber with a classic European walnut stock in fine condition. I would just leave it be.

Not sure if .264 WM would help or hurt, but commercial mausers in the condition you describe with "standard" stocks bring about $500 locally at auction. Might bring a premium if it has fancy wood. The one's I've seen sell have all been .270, 30-06 or .338WM.

Polaris got it right. I have a .257 Roberts in the same Browning High Power action. They are all standard Mauser 98 actions with side safety and should interchange with any other commercial Mauser. Mine will with a Mark X action, they are nearly identical.

Back