Browning X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Gil (BlkRam) has secured a new rifle--a Browning X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor. This is what it looks like.

He had it at the range testing this weekend. The rifle does show promise. Here are a few examples during the initial shoot. This was an early group. Gil's comment was "Nice shooting rifle! Shows promise!"

Another picture bears this comment from the rifleman: "Second 3 shot group @ 100 yards;
.798" w/ Hornady Superformance 129 gr SST"

Gil's comment on the following picture was: "Third 3 shot group @ 100 yards;
.799" w/ Hornady Superformance 120 gr GMX
Note; could not clearly see 3rd shot of group mostly within top portion of bottom left shot (2nd shot of group) through scope, so fired 4th round in magazine to verify (uppermost left shot)"

Oh, yeah, this rifle may work out. Perhaps I'd be tempted to sneak it away from him, but he put the bolt on the wrong side! :lol:

I'd be happy with these results . I've only been around one browning rifle . it is Denise's X-bolt . I'm pleased with how it shoots . the barrel feels really smooth when cleaning . I think they are a nice rifle . the lefty bolt is the reason I even looked at Browning for her .

...was Gil, I'd try some 140's, & see if I could tighten those groups up some. :) (6.5 A-Bolt, 200yds.)

...seriously, tho, there's a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo available now, w/ Nosler, Winchester, & small co.'s like Prime, Creedmoor, etc. My Browning seems to prefer 140's, 130's, to 120's...

...140 AB's

For what it's worth, the ammo tried was all that was available within 300 Kim's of my place, and I have not yet had the chance to load any rounds for this rifle yet, and these groups were shot within the first 16 rounds through this new rifle (breaking barely started). Load development to determine what load that this rifle is going to prefer is going to be fun!

DrMike was gracious enough to post these pics for me, but did not include all of the captions that went with them. One fact missing, is that this rifle was rebarrelled with a 24" SS Benchmark barrel with 1:8 twist and 5R rifling.

This is not my first Brownung rifle; I've had and shot A-Bolts and A-Bolt II's chambered in 280 Rem and 25 WSSM, 7MM Rem Mag, 30-06 and 270 Win. All but the 25 WSSM shot very well.

The trigger is very crisp with no creep or over travel, but is a little heavy and will get tuned to 3 lb pull.
It was a pleasure to shoot and I am looking forward to spending a lot of time with this rifle! I will keep you posted.

I've always been a fan of browning rifles. My first was an old Abolt in .270. Then an Abolt 2 in 260. Both were great rifles, and the 260 was sub moa with almost any load. I've never owned the xbolt, but my brother got one in 243 that was a fantastic shooter. He traded it for a glock 40 MOS in 10mm plus boot. Still makes me sick at my stomach lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6.5 Creedmoor is the next calibre I would really like to try :wink:.
I know a couple of guys here in Regina that have had some trouble with the tapping for the ring bases and they have corrected them by using the Leupold bases.
I doubt that Gil has that problem with having placed a Benchmark barrel on her.

Blessings,
Dan

Well I harvested my first big game with the new Creedmoor; a young bull moose!

Really challenged the Hornady Precision Hunting ammo with the 143 gr ELD-X; a frontal shot at 20 yards! (Only shot offered) It did not travel more than 10 yards after the shot and expired quickly.

Bullet entered chest cavity just beside trachea and esophagus, destroyed a lung, and did not penetrate through the diaphragm in the the abdominal cavity. Was not able to recover the bullet in the congealed blood and lung tissue, as it was getting dark by the time I had the animal processed and loaded into the truck, but did look for it somewhat. Did find a couple of very small copper fragments in the entry wound (knocked rib bone on entry into chest cavity)

No wasted meat, and no stomach mess to deal with when cleaning the animal. Made cleaning better than it could have been with a larger caliber and more penetration. This makes good performance purely from a meat hunters perspective.

Hope to have better info on bullet performance next weekend on elk.

Outstanding. Glad you had a good, long range rifle, available.
Congratulations and good luck on your elk hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations Gil, you guys will be eating in fine style this winter 8)

Beautiful rifle and she is a shooter.
I think the bolt is on the wrong side. :)

JD338

Thanks for the report Gil, that Moose will make for some fine dining this coming winter (y).
Gil actually your rifle was built for someone in their left mind :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

But, but, but the bolt is on the wrong side! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah, but your mind is turned around, Dan. Chirality doesn't match the ability to think in this instance.

Speaking of lefties :wink: DrMike how is Noah doing? Has there been any hunting trips?

Blessings,
Dan

A few, Dan. Nothing spectacular, however. I'm swamped with other duties and not doing as well as I would like.

DrMike":2y2kysnr said:
A few, Dan. Nothing spectacular, however. I'm swamped with other duties and not doing as well as I would like.
I hope your talking about your other duties and not your health. :?

Back