7mm PRC first thoughts..

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
So my brother picked up a Browning X bolt with a recoil hawg brake in 7mmPRC. He was sighting it in today and I had to give it a try. He was shooting Hornady outfitter 160gr CX ammo. I pulled the trigger on the rifle and I swear the recoil felt like a a hot 6.5 creedmoor load. I expected a lot more recoil from a magnum type cartridge. I have never shot a rifle with a recoil hawg brake so I am sure that helped mitigate recoil. Anyone else experience something similar in their experience shooting the 7mm PRC? As expected, after shooting it, I wanted one lol!!!

Sounds like a good start, Browning makes a really nice gun. Is the Recoil Hawg really loud compared to a regular muzzle brake?

Yes, it sounds like you need one too! Why should your brother have all the fun? ;)

I have 3 older LH X Bolts, none with muzzle brakes, and they are all very nice to shoot! (6.5 CM All Weather, 6.5 PRC Hunter and 270 WSM All Weather) All are capable of 1/2 MOA groups or better with factory ammunition.
Truly wish they would make the Mountain Pro Tungsten in LH!
7mm Rem Mag or 7mm PRC, with a 24" barrel...if you are listening Browning:cool:

I bought one well, because I did not have one. I opted for an inexpensive model since I did not know whether she would be a keeper.

I bought the ugly Mossberg Patriot.
f0qoqw4.jpg

I decided to dress her up a bit. This is what she looks like now.

5T4I4mo.jpg

First time out to the range and the factory 175 ELDX did 2850 fps, and around 1" to 1.25". Then I shot my handloads in it.

UM6SHYp.png

Now, how can I not keep her? She does this every time I go out with this load.

Last edited:
That's a cool rifle Fotis. Talk about an inexpensive rifle that can do alot of work.

I've done a fair bit of handloading and shooting with the 7 PRC, starting before it was officially released. Impressive! Went on a spring bear hunt in Idaho last May, sadly no opportunity at a bear.

This load shot into the 4's time after time:
  • 175 grain Hornady ELD-X
  • 80.5 grains of Ramshot LRT
  • Federal 215 primers
  • Hornady cases
  • 2929 fps
The velocity truly impressed me, as the rifle had a 22" barrel! That load is a half-grain over max according to the manuals but gave me no problem whatsoever.

I enjoy shooting that thing, and truly wish I'd had an opportunity to take a bear with it. Enjoy your new rifle!

GuyP1040127.JPG

I bought one well, because I did not have one. I opted for an inexpensive model since I did not know whether she would be a keeper.

f0qoqw4.jpg

5T4I4mo.jpg

First time out to the range and the factory 175 ELDX did 2850 fps, and around 1" to 1.25". Then I shot my handloads in it.

UM6SHYp.png

Don't fix what ain't broke!
To paraphrase Forrest Gump...Ugly is, as Ugly does!

Last edited:
Been listing for a 7mmPRC, but want it in a model 70… yesterday I picked up a pre64 in 270 win. Came with a vx3i, two boxes of supporting materials. two sets of dies(one looked unused) and a lot of bullets(Hornady, Sierra, Speer and bowlers) and powder.. and he threw in 7-08 and 7 rem mag dies. Oh and a couple pounds h4831, and a couple more 7828? H380..
Kinda felt like I won the lottery…
Will have to see how the 270 shoots and decided if it becomes a donor… he had a 7x57 pre 64 he was willing to part with…
Maybe I go back and get that one too…
But 7 PRC is still on my mind..haven’t looked into having a 70 become a project… but maybe that’s a next step… hate to do it to a pre 64…

So my brother picked up a Browning X bolt with a recoil hawg brake in 7mmPRC. He was sighting it in today and I had to give it a try. He was shooting Hornady outfitter 160gr CX ammo. I pulled the trigger on the rifle and I swear the recoil felt like a a hot 6.5 creedmoor load. I expected a lot more recoil from a magnum type cartridge. I have never shot a rifle with a recoil hawg brake so I am sure that helped mitigate recoil. Anyone else experience something similar in their experience shooting the 7mm PRC? As expected, after shooting it, I wanted one lol!!!

Your experience with the muzzle break pretty much mirrors mine. I have a browning Abolt II in 300 win mag with the BOSS. I shot it alongside a .243 and the recoil was comparable. Though the 243's recoil was a little sharper. The 300 still has more recoil but it seems softer if that makes any sense. I won't be taking it off anytime soon.

I've done a fair bit of handloading and shooting with the 7 PRC, starting before it was officially released. Impressive! Went on a spring bear hunt in Idaho last May, sadly no opportunity at a bear.

This load shot into the 4's time after time:
  • 175 grain Hornady ELD-X
  • 80.5 grains of Ramshot LRT
  • Federal 215 primers
  • Hornady cases
  • 2929 fps
The velocity truly impressed me, as the rifle had a 22" barrel! That load is a half-grain over max according to the manuals but gave me no problem whatsoever.

I enjoy shooting that thing, and truly wish I'd had an opportunity to take a bear with it. Enjoy your new rifle!

GuyView attachment 22083
Have to say Guy, I like that gun..........

Have to say Guy, I like that gun..........
Ya, it's a bit heavy for general purpose hunting, but accurate as all get out. I wasn't hiking much on that trip, just a fairly short hike into and out from various blinds, then settling down and quietly watching for hours, with the rifle on a tripod. I'd prefer a lighter one for the kind of hunting I normally do where a lot more walking is involved.

It was real interesting to work with it though. Quite accurate. Gavin built it, based on a Bergara action and a Bartlein 5R 1:8 barrel.

Guy

Has anyone tried a 7PRC with a lighter bullet like a 120 / 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip?

f0qoqw4.jpg

5T4I4mo.jpg

UM6SHYp.png

Fotis- How do you like that MTM gun vise? Looking for one and have limited space too. thanks.

PS- first time Ive heard of some one getting a patriot to shoot "bug holes". Credit the reloader ...yet again. CL

Ya, it's a bit heavy for general purpose hunting, but accurate as all get out. I wasn't hiking much on that trip, just a fairly short hike into and out from various blinds, then settling down and quietly watching for hours, with the rifle on a tripod. I'd prefer a lighter one for the kind of hunting I normally do where a lot more walking is involved.

It was real interesting to work with it though. Quite accurate. Gavin built it, based on a Bergara action and a Bartlein 5R 1:8 barrel.

Guy
It is a pretty sharp looking rifle. I'd bet with a stock swap it'd get a bunch more portable as well. Hard to beat a good 7 with great bullets.

Has anyone tried a 7PRC with a lighter bullet like a 120 / 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip?
I wonder a bit about this myself. I'd have to imagine with the straight parallel throat, just over bore diameter, there may be some leaps to the lands but it could still be pretty darned accurate.

Fotis- How do you like that MTM gun vise? Looking for one and have limited space too. thanks.

PS- first time Ive heard of some one getting a patriot to shoot "bug holes". Credit the reloader ...yet again. CL
It is great. I do just about all rifle work on it with no issues so far Troy.

It is great. I do just about all rifle work on it with no issues so far Troy.
Thank you sir! Have a couple people asking me to do some scope mounting etc. and I need to change my set up due to space/ muscle limitations. May look into it further. Hope you are well! CL

Back