build delima

TexasLife

Handloader
May 24, 2020
Wanting to go off of calibers I have and not to get into another just yet I post this as cartridge decision only. I don't have 1 single 7 mil in my collection (probably never will) I mostly want a 270wsm, 300wsm or maybe saum's? I've gone thru my possible actions I would buy and know what cartridge lengths I would be dealing with (2.950-3.260"). This is a WTH build as it is just for fun as all firearms should be! What I do have is 6.8spc, 270win, 300bo, 308win and 300wm. With the short mags I could get near long mag performance in a smaller package and a lighter overall build by 1-1.5#s given same length, profile and shorter action. Brass is the toughest to find and may make my decision a no-go until brass comes available? Foreign brass other than norma and lapua might be a possibility if there's some other quality brass to be found?

Your help is appreciated!

I'd wonder how you can lose 1-1.5# from a short action to a long action.
Most manufacturers put the weight difference at 0.2 pounds or less.

The 7 PRC is an attractive cartridge IF you don't already have a 7mm magnum of some flavor, which is your position.

If 6.8 Western was to take off, I'd absolutely say that. However, since it prolly won't, I'd build a fast twist 270 WSM. I don't think you could go wrong with it.

I'd wonder how you can lose 1-1.5# from a short action to a long action.
Most manufacturers put the weight difference at 0.2 pounds or less.

The 7 PRC is an attractive cartridge IF you don't already have a 7mm magnum of some flavor, which is your position.
I just can't get into 7 mils yet. I think they offer a great go between of 26 and 30 cals, but it's been a easy fight against it. The 1-1.5# difference is bore and optic choices and the fluctuation in small items along with processing. I can go as light as a 17.5oz optic with a range within 20x and save 10-18oz alone with comparable optic features.

If 6.8 Western was to take off, I'd absolutely say that. However, since it prolly won't, I'd build a fast twist 270 WSM. I don't think you could go wrong with it.
Finding brass is the biggest deficit to overcome. In the 27cal choice I would build for the Berger 170eol w/ 8-8.5 twist if going the way of wsm or the western. Chamber choices are easier to come by then finding brass................well at a reasonable price?

I just can't get into 7 mils yet. I think they offer a great go between of 26 and 30 cals, but it's been a easy fight against it. The 1-1.5# difference is bore and optic choices and the fluctuation in small items along with processing. I can go as light as a 17.5oz optic with a range within 20x and save 10-18oz alone with comparable optic features.
So most of that weight savings has nothing to do with long vs short action then, which is what your post inferred.
If you're debating short action vs long, at least compare them comparably equipped.

You're overlooking a whole new world by eliminating the 7mm's. If you went with a long action, there are countless offerings to be had that would support bullet weight from 100-190 grs.
If weight is a concern, you can get a lighter contour barrel, skeletonize the action and bed it in a fiber stock.

JD338

So most of that weight savings has nothing to do with long vs short action then, which is what your post inferred.
If you're debating short action vs long, at least compare them comparably equipped.
I have done so and even though there is 4-8ozs difference it adds up in the end just like barrel profiles and barrel material. When using a long action the stock adds weight because of the action used (according to manufacturer's site). I took a titanium action of the same maker and they state approximate weight for each action (short, medium and long). So, in the end (if possible) I use what is possible from a manufacturer on like actions in the same material. Pierce for example: as having titanium and steel actions of various styles and lengths. Titanium actions in the short action variety can be from 19-26ozs (possibly less or more) dpending on who makes them.

You're overlooking a whole new world by eliminating the 7mm's. If you went with a long action, there are countless offerings to be had that would support bullet weight from 100-190 grs.
If weight is a concern, you can get a lighter contour barrel, skeletonize the action and bed it in a fiber stock.

JD338
I wouldn't call it a concern, just an option as for how light I could build it and maintain a good platform. I left the word accuracy out for a reason due to too much variations. 7's are a great go-between of 26 and 30 cals that do offer more now than the past did. All of the other calibers are trying to catchup to the 26's. Using 180+ grains in 7's are a better solution to the 30 cal of same weights as for bc's. I'm not ready to start another caliber just yet. If I buy 1 7, then I'll need 2 or 3 more because that's what I do. With 30 cals ranging from 110-250 grain I utilize the spread by having 300bo, 308win and 300wm. With my velocity minimums per grain (300bo being an exception) I use a spread with minimum velocities. 2,700fps is minimum for 500 yards or more (my choice only) per whatever the weight is on what the barrel could spit out.

I wouldn't call it a concern, just an option as for how light I could build it and maintain a good platform. I left the word accuracy out for a reason due to too much variations. 7's are a great go-between of 26 and 30 cals that do offer more now than the past did. All of the other calibers are trying to catchup to the 26's. Using 180+ grains in 7's are a better solution to the 30 cal of same weights as for bc's. I'm not ready to start another caliber just yet. If I buy 1 7, then I'll need 2 or 3 more because that's what I do. With 30 cals ranging from 110-250 grain I utilize the spread by having 300bo, 308win and 300wm. With my velocity minimums per grain (300bo being an exception) I use a spread with minimum velocities. 2,700fps is minimum for 500 yards or more (my choice only) per whatever the weight is on what the barrel could spit out.
Or you could build a 338 RUM and do everything. 😉

JD338

I know you are calling this a WTH build, but what are you looking to get out of it, is there a specific goal? Do you have a specific weight you are trying to stay under? Distance you want to shoot. Advice that i have received is start with a weight and budget in mind, add up all the components you think you want and see if you are close to the 2(# ,$) before you even start, and see what adjustments you might have to make. I am interested to see what you come up with and look forward to following the build.

Or you could build a 338 RUM and do everything. 😉

JD338
Well, I do have a 338lm and that's plenty for now, but might build a 30"+ length as I only have a 24" stealth 110. It shoots well with IMI ammo (250smk).

I know you are calling this a WTH build, but what are you looking to get out of it, is there a specific goal? Do you have a specific weight you are trying to stay under? Distance you want to shoot. Advice that i have received is start with a weight and budget in mind, add up all the components you think you want and see if you are close to the 2(# ,$) before you even start, and see what adjustments you might have to make. I am interested to see what you come up with and look forward to following the build.
Range is close to unlimited as what I have to shoot in, but if any animals will be taken it'll be yotes, pigs and prairie dogs. I don't hunt, only reduce varmints. The 6 kids I have might 1 day use it for hunting? So, it's pretty much a WTH build. I'll call it long range protection for now! Just trying to get near long mag performance/speed in a lighter package. 6.5prc AR10 build to come, so something bigger caliber wise.

Range is close to unlimited as what I have to shoot in, but if any animals will be taken it'll be yotes, pigs and prairie dogs. I don't hunt, only reduce varmints. The 6 kids I have might 1 day use it for hunting? So, it's pretty much a WTH build. I'll call it long range protection for now! Just trying to get near long mag performance/speed in a lighter package. 6.5prc AR10 build to come, so something bigger caliber wise.
Thoughts on how much you want to spend, action prices have taken a jump in 2023 already, what ones where you looking at?

Thoughts on how much you want to spend, action prices have taken a jump in 2023 already, what ones where you looking at?
Some are in the range from 1,300-1,900 bucks, so it won't be cheap. Probably complete with optic in the 4k+ range. The barrel will either be CF or a just heavier than sporter/ultralite. Hoping to keep the barrel weight to 3# or close as possible with a 24-26" barrel. Same profile with a 27cal bore will weigh more than the 30cal bore. That's where part of the weight savings come to play. Zermatt LA Ti is around 24oz and the SA is 2-4oz less. 26" CF barrel is near 44oz. HNY26 stock is 26oz +/- oz or 2. Can't recall the optic mfgr, but the optic is around a 20x and weighs 17.5oz. As you can tell it's light. To get under 7# I might need to go 24"? Getting under 7# will be challenging with optic.

Last edited:
As a guy who has had rifles in all of the WSM cartridges and a .300 SAUM, my advice is:

HAVE SUFFICIENT BRASS IN HAND BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE.
I plan on having a minimum of 1k before starting barrel order.

Back