• 300 Remington Ultra Mag

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • 30-06 Ackley Improved

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 300 Winchester Short Mag

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
Elkman":227molw5 said:
This is one of those questionairs where the outcome is pretty much slanted toward a specific outcome. Kind of like choose your favorite varmit caliber. And the choices are !!!! .223 .223. 223. I had thought after a whole week with you two I had purged out the RUM and SSSS Magnum demons. Apparently another trip to the woods is in order. (4 oz) your three peanut butter sandwiches weigh more.

I am not sure what the Featherweight weighs, but it is light in the hands and with a 24" barrel, it seems to carry pretty well too.. I'll let you hold it in a few months! Scotty

beretzs":29jfyehs said:
I am not sure what the Featherweight weighs, but it is light in the hands and with a 24" barrel, it seems to carry pretty well too.. I'll let you hold it in a few months! Scotty

Remember, Tico now lurks in these hallways....

My heaviest rifle (the .340 with a Kahles scope) weighs right at 8-1/2 pounds unloaded without sling and with wood stock. My lightest big game hunting rifle weighs probably only weighs a pound less. Not enough difference to matter much while hunting.

Oldtrader3":3mhy61b3 said:
My heaviest rifle (the .340 with a Kahles scope) weighs right at 8-1/2 pounds unloaded without sling and with wood stock. My lightest big game hunting rifle weighs probably only weighs a pound less. Not enough difference to matter much while hunting.

8.5lbs seems to be just about right Charlie. I would think most of mine have to be in that area for weight as well. Need to find a way to weigh a few of them. I don't have any rifles that are really heavy. The 270 and 7WSM's with laminates are a little heavy, but I don't think they are cumbersome at all. Scotty

Elkman":1ebctbpo said:
This is one of those questionairs where the outcome is pretty much slanted toward a specific outcome. Kind of like choose your favorite varmit caliber. And the choices are !!!! .223 .223. 223. I had thought after a whole week with you two I had purged out the RUM and SSSS Magnum demons. Apparently another trip to the woods is in order. (4 oz) your three peanut butter sandwiches weigh more.
I think you may have us dead to rights :mrgreen: Please don't bring out the peanut butter sandwich torture! I will give on my love of anything RUM!

Woodycreek":3l8hnev4 said:
Elkman":3l8hnev4 said:
I think you may have us dead to rights :mrgreen: Please don't bring out the peanut butter sandwich torture! I will give on my love of anything RUM!

Man, I love PB&J! It is like mothers milk!

This is what I carried the last couple of days I was out, pounding the hills for elk:

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

Had a 260 gr Nosler loaded, sighted in at 200 yards. Never shot an elk with that rifle or bullet, but I suspect it will work! Buddy of mine hunts Western Washington for the big Roosevelt elk - he took a bull at about 15' with his .375 H&H Number One and a 300 grain bullet. Stalked close to the feeding elk, keeping a big tree between them, then cut loose. Said it worked real well... :grin:

This has been a fun topic!

Very cool elk rifle Guy! That'll get it done everytime, that is for certain. That big #1 looks great.

What do you think of the new scope? What reticle did you get in it? I am thinking that would be an excellent scope for the Guide Rifle. Scotty

Oldtrader3":1j82px1z said:
Long as we are asking, why isn't the .300 Ouch & Ouch on this list?

Well, I couldn't really say Charlie. Other than no reason at all. I was trying to stay with rounds that Brian could easily obtain, either from an action he already has or ones he could buy already built in factory form. I would certainly take a 300 H&H without an issue if there were still some around for a decent price. I honestly like the 300 Win Mag and WSM's the most. Those two have about the most going for them, rifles wise. Scotty

I have to vote for the 30-06AI knowing that it is what Brian needs to build :wink: . There is a cool factor to that round and you can always throw a standard 30-06 round in it to fire if he forgets his bullets at home. I know 300 WSM rounds are available everywhere also, but the AI is nipping at the heels of the WSM and gives the rest of us something new to watch in load development.

I really like anything AI but gonna pass on the 30-06AI. The long action needs to be a 6.5 build of some sort? It's down to the 300wsm or 300RUM.

257 Ackley":3gvwwim4 said:
I have to vote for the 30-06AI knowing that it is what Brian needs to build :wink: . There is a cool factor to that round and you can always throw a standard 30-06 round in it to fire if he forgets his bullets at home. I know 300 WSM rounds are available everywhere also, but the AI is nipping at the heels of the WSM and gives the rest of us something new to watch in load development.
Forget my ammo! Are you kidding me? You have been to the range with me enough to know better. Forget targets, chronograph, or the spotting scope can happen :mrgreen:

Woodycreek":3hw7ltvy said:
I really like anything AI but gonna pass on the 30-06AI. The long action needs to be a 6.5 build of some sort? It's down to the 300wsm or 300RUM.

I guess a Pac-Nor in 6.5-280AI!!! They have the reamer!!

nvbroncrider":1detv0oq said:
Woodycreek":1detv0oq said:

I guess a Pac-Nor in 6.5-280AI!!! They have the reamer!!

That's at the top of the 6.5 list. I like the idea of the 264 wsm if it would work on a long action?

Throat it long for big bullets so you can get the most out of it. It will work in a LA. It might take some feed rail modification and it will need a RUM mag box and follower.

Guess I need to start doing some research on both the 6.5-280AI and 264wsm. The 6.5-280AI would need less work but would the 264wsm have a big speed advantage?

Back to our topic at hand. I'm still leaning toward the Rem 700 SPS Stainless 300RUM with a B&C Medalist Alaskan stock. What scope to put on it is the big question? I just got a Leupold 3.5-10x40 CDS but would like to get a Zeiss Conquest Rapid Z 800 crosshair and hunter turrets.

Back