Bull Elk/Muley Hunt Success - Bullet Recovered!!!!!!!

That sounds pretty good. 68% is about the norm it seems. 60-70% seems like what most folks are getting IF they are able to actually stop one. Can't wait to see some pictures of that. Scotty

Any time game is harvested with a 375 anything a tear comes to my eye!

:cry:
Congrats
:mrgreen:

I'll bet your bullet is just inside the meat of where it bruised the skin on the offset side. If there is not hole in the hide, then it didn't come out but close enough to make a mark.

As for ATV's used for packing out an elk - use whatever advantage you can. No, ATV's will not affect the elk in an area. I used one back in September to get a cow out I got and that evening my brother nearly shot a cow when he walked up on a small group of 4-5 feeding on the same logging road I used to get mine out and the next morning about had a bull in the same area not 200 yds from where I drove in to get it...

I read an aritcle a week or so ago about bullet penetration. Basically, the longer the bullet for the caliber used, the deeper the penetration. Tests using ballistic gel showed that longer bullets from smaller calibers (heavy gr wt. for that caliber such as a 150 gr out of a .270) penetrated deeper than a bigger caliber with a shorter bullet (less gr wt. for that caliber such as a 160 gr out of a .300) - it deals with the sectional density of the bullet. In short, a 7mm Rem Mag firing a 160 - 175 gr bullet is more than enough gun to bring down any elk. I recently shot a young bull buffalo last weekend that dressed out at 370 lbs (4 full quarters hanging on the rail), which is basically the same size overall as a good bull elk.

Congrats on your elk, it's always fun to fill your tag!!

HDE

Oops - guess I should have read the rest of the posts before replying. Looks like you found the bullet... :oops: :oops:

The AB's that I've retrieved have been about the same wt retention as yours. AB's are good bullets!

HDE, no sweat, we all do it once in awhile! Your right, the higher SD'ed bullets smaller caliber should penetrate more than the same weight bullet in a larger caliber. The deal breaker today is the all copper bullets, they kind of change the picture a little. The 160gr PT out of the 7mm mag is a an awesome bullet, high BC and penetrates like heck. Scotty

6mm Remington":qqeqryf4 said:
Congratulations and we sure would like to see some pictures. Man you guys use some serious cannons! Nothing wrong with that but howdy is that some horsepower!! :grin:
:grin: mmmmmmm horse power gooooood!
177.gif

Maybe a 378 Bee on elk next year? Hmmmmmmm. :twisted:

JDMAG":3j8b1p9a said:
6mm Remington":3j8b1p9a said:
Congratulations and we sure would like to see some pictures. Man you guys use some serious cannons! Nothing wrong with that but howdy is that some horsepower!! :grin:
:grin: mmmmmmm horse power gooooood![img]http://emoticons4u.com/cartoon/177.gif[/img]

A few grunts thrown in with that and I be you would do Tim the Tool Man Taylor proud!! :mrgreen: :grin: Pretty funny stuff you horsepower freaks! I have to admit that the largest I own guys is a little old 30-06. :oops: I have no doubts though that if I did have one of those cannons that I would most likely use it on some stuff that it certainly was MORE THAN WAS NEEDED, but we need to hunt with everything we own. That's just part of the horrible RADD disease. I have had the good fortune to shoot a couple 50 caliber bolt rifles and OH MY what fun. I would seriously love to take something like that on an antelope hunt where a 400 or longer shot might be required. See I'm just as bad as you guys are, it's just that I don't have the big-un to use! Sounds like I have just come out of the closet on this haven't I! :oops: :shock: One of the neatest things ever was my buddy Don and I hunting antelope and deer a few years back. He was using an old rolling block action 45-70 that our gunsmith had built for him. The walnut for the stock that the smith made was cut from a tree back east on property he had when he lived there. This action was over 100 years old. He of course put a new barrel on it and mounted one of the flip up rear peep sights for long range stuff and it had a standard mounted barrel sight as well. We spotted a really pretty, heavy, nice pronged buck feeding and were able to sneak to within 150 yards or so. He shot him and the antelope took off and ran for 50 yards and tipped over! :grin: He had hit hin right through the lungs behind the shoulder. That BIG OLD BULLET had done a wonderful job and had ruined only a very very little amount of meat. It was just flat out neat!

Nothing wrong with that 30-06! I'll never part with mine. it was the first thing I bought with my very first pay check as I kid just out of high school. I really contemplated useing the Lott on antelope this year. big Bore doesnt mean just short range any more. especially with todays bullets and optics

POP":u5ck4u62 said:

Not for me, the 375RUM using either the 260AB or 300AB is enought. The only reason I have this cannon is to have all four of the RUM calibers.

Until I receive the pics my Uncle took, this is the only pic of my bull: There's a cow elk(that was shot that morning), my bull and muley in the truck - plus the hides from my two animals.
DSCN0023.jpg

This was my home away for 18 days:
DSCN0017.jpg

Man, that picture looks good. I have to love the multiple animals gracing the back of the pickup.

Richracer1":3cerx2wz said:
POP":3cerx2wz said:

Not for me, the 375RUM using either the 260AB or 300AB is enought. The only reason I have this cannon is to have all four of the RUM calibers.

I was referring to my Bee! :lol:

My Uncle is a bit computer challenged, Here's the only pic I've received from him so far:

I'm peppering it so the flys will stay off of it. He's at the taxidermist now becoming a European mount. I should have the mount sometime next week.
4x4Elk-2010.jpg

Rich,

Nice pictures! I like your home away from home. :grin:

JD338

Yeah, awesome pictures Rich. Your elk camp looks awesome! I like the bed full of animals! That is a great one. Scotty

Here's the Euro mount hanging in the family room.

Picture003.jpg

P.S. the funny rectangle shading on the paneling is due to I took down a picture/clock mount that's been hanging there for about 30 years. Oh well, what can you do?

The slight discolouration adds character to the wall and emphasises the skull mount. Looks good.

Back