Bull elk, shot placement & more

when we hunt in Montana, we always have horses and mules, which makes packing out a lot easier. I would assume several of you fellows who live out west use mules and horses, but I dont see it mentioned ????

hunterny, what's a horse?
Don
All of my worst pack outs have been in NE Oregon, two from the bottom of Meacham Creek up to the Goodman Ridge lookout. I was a lot younger then. Three have come out of Spring Creek, up on to Shimmyhorn Ridge. Those were not all the way down.

I hear you Bill. My favorite opening morning hunt puts me 1500 feet below the road in just over 1/2 mile. Damn elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mules can handle most of the country I hunt. I've just never wanted to deal with them again.
I have called a local packer a time or two, but he was unavailable in a timely fashion.
That being said my brothers make me bring an envelope with 300.00 cash. A line on the map indicates a mandatory call to the packer[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300 Weatherby with a 180 grain TTSX puts the smack on him. A casual reload in case of an inquisitive bear.

Somewhere in the vicinity of the dot.

Thankful Otter":2qcal2re said:
"O,.K. I shot him, you bring him home"

I cannot believe I am even admitting to this but it's been a general rule with my good buddy where I tell him, "You shoot them and I'll pack them." At least he returns favor.

Guy Miner":2m7f25js said:
6mm Remington":2m7f25js said:
Guy it would be my 280 AI with either a 140 gr. AccuBond or Partition or my 30-06 with a 165 gr. AccuBond or Partition. With the slight breeze I like where you have your red dot. That's also a very cool looking bull. I like your dreams!

Ya, that's one heck of a bull... I don't know what he scores, but he sure looks like a good one to me!

I figured you'd be trying to decide between your 6mm Remington and a .22-250 with a 60 grain Nosler Partition.... :grin:

Guy
I know right! It was a tough choice.

In all reality, it don't really matter how far from the road that bull would be standing, that spot would do just fine and the 150 or 160 Partition from my .270 win will make the deal final. That is if the bull fever don't overtake me and I end up with evergreen stew.

6mm Remington said:
Thankful Otter said:
"O,.K. I shot him, you bring him home"

I cannot believe I am even admitting to this but it's been a general rule with my good buddy where I tell him, "You shoot them and I'll pack them." At least he returns favor.

Do you want to be my hunting buddy??? :mrgreen:

I
cannot believe I am even admitting to this but it's been a general rule with my good buddy where I tell him, "You shoot them and I'll pack them."

I have a buddy here on the forum that tells me the same thing. He does let me help but when we are together but only to a point. I can still get them out by myself it just takes a little longer. I coined a phrase a number of years ago when I was mentoring a couple of young men. It goes like this . "Shoot them first, then worry about getting them out". Some just take longer.
Losing one this fall still bothers me.

6.5 Creedmoor. Grass is _probably_ too tall to lay prone(?), so sitting if feasible, else kneeling. Got the Latigo sling on my support arm. 200m is a bit under half a mil of windage at 10mph (0.4), and I think I'd most prefer to hit just a touch left of the red dot.

I knew this was fantasy as soon as I saw the picture, but it sure is purty! (-:

I did this once with Guy on FB :wink:. I would likely be shooting my 35 Whelen with my 225gr. ABs in the clip the rifle would be resting on my Bogpod. At 200 yards I would take that aim point squeeze the trigger and then ask my nephew and 2 boys to come and get me with the Argo & trailer :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back