Bullet designs

That's good input Jim. I haven't messed with the newer version TTSX, almost did before going with the AccuBond's. Sounds like they have the expansion thing resolved now.

Now what they will do with slower cartridges at longer ranges a lot of guys are shooting. Even at the higher velocities it isn't the DRT stuff. The antelope did but.... Buck ran 50 yards maybe the doe kind of run ten feet stopped turned ran another ten feet. I think she did this three times before she resided to fall over. Were talking seconds though. The buck, I was curious about after posting the first time was shoot very low in the brisket and the bullet traveled upwards a bit and exited behind the off shoulder. I'm not impressed with the shooting but the bullet did pretty good considering the hardest thing it hit on the way in was fat yet still tore up the lungs a bit.

Jim1 AB":3fl6qxcr said:
Three animals killed with TTXSs this year. My antelope 200 yards plus. In through the shoulder out through the neck. All kinds of bone smashed. 120 grain out of my 6.5/375 Ruger. We all know they penetrate and that just confirms it.

Two white tails shot with my son-in-law's 257 Weatherby and 100 gr. TTSXs. 250 lb. Buck shot at 225 yards +- Exited low chest. I have no idea where my hunting buddy hit him. The hide is still on and not an easy one to figure out. Lungs shot up pretty good though and no real bones hit. I shot a doe 125 Ib range later that day. I prefect broad side shot at the 200 yard range. Exit wound was the 1 1/2" no bones in but hit a rib on the way out.

Up until a very few months ago I wouldn't have them in a rifle of mine. I use them a hundred years ago and they just didn't work for all the reasons everyone has heard. Glad I rethought my bias. Not my pick for everyone and all hunting situations but they still penetrate real well and they now expand well. Just to qualify the last statement. They expand well at higher velocities. Both rifles are shooting them around the 3600ft/sec range.

All kinds of bone smashed

Ya know, all this time I've been concerned about finding a bullet getting through bone. I haven't used a Barnes, and got through bone. I had a gun club member tell me to saty away from the shoulder... "it's a mess" , he told me. I haven't shot a deer in the shoulder, yet. But through a leg and I remember tackling the clean up. Guess my search for a bone crushing days are over, considering a Sierra bullet done it.

Lorenzo":103w5e46 said:
Maybe in a couple of years when they bring up the TTTSXXXWYX I will try them again... :mrgreen:

L

Lorenzo,

Welcome to the forum.
You might want to consider the E-Tip, an accurate and reliable bullet.
Here is the 7mm 150 gr E-Tip shot from my 280 AI.
280AI150grE-Tip300.jpg

Here are recovered 338 cal 200 gr E-Tips shot from a 338 RUM.
338RUM200grainE-Tip.jpg

JD338

Yup, Though we still need ones in 375 and 416 ...........

We will be in Texas for a combination pig and deer hunt 3 weeks from now. This will be a good test bed for both the TSX and the TTSX since my buddy Frank will be using both exclusively on his 257 and 300 Weatherby. On the other hand, I will have Berger VLD's and SMK's for my 6.5 and 338 Lapua Ackley. The land owner specifically requested for us to thin out the herd of pigs that ravages the property. :wink:

I loaded 100 of each 115 TSX and 180 TTSX for Franks rifles

bullet003.jpg

bullet002.jpg

JD338,
The pics look impressive good shooting too with the 280. I Have some 180 E-Tips to try this off season in the 300 Ultra Mag. I like the bullet pics. What test medium did you use on the bullets? What speed are you getting with that load?

JD338,

Thanks for the bullet recomendation. There is another bullet I think I should try before and it's the AccuBond. Imagine a Round Nose AccuBond...that will be a cool looking bullet for hunting red stags in La Pampa's thick thornbush :grin:

The following pictures are from game taken with my 9,3x62 and 250 gr Barnes, so I don't say they will not work, I just say I still prefer a good bonded or Partition style bullet.

Water Buffalo rib

View attachment balacostbuena.jpg

Axis buck

View attachment 023_23A.jpg

9,3 Barnes X 250 gr from water buff

View attachment barnes 010.JPG

Returning after a pig hunt with my 9,3

View attachment chagua.jpg

It's always fun talking about bullets.... :grin:

L

Great pictures, Lorenzo. The 9.3 X 62 is a great cartridge that is only recently beginning to gain some recognition in North America. I'm currently building a 9.3 X 64 Brenneke, which is another great cartridge that is neglected in North America.

Thanks Dr.Mike, indeed the 9,3x62 is a superb hunting caliber and his bigger brother, the 9,3x64 is as good as the venerable 375 H&H.

Here is a buff and a pig taken with my 9,3x62 using 286 gr. Round Nose bullets :mrgreen:

jab2.jpg

000011.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread... :oops:

L

boolit":34on4w85 said:
like them e-tips.... they look like winchester fail safes....

The E-Tip is a monolithic bullet with the poly carbonate tip. The Fail Safe does not have a tip, just a hollow point and the rear core has lead within a steel cup.

JD338

Correct Jim. Also they have the lubaloy coating. The steel insert as you mentioned and the lead core locked withing it was used to keep length down.
Kinda like the Barnes MRX with the tungsten rear.

Back