Bullet selection for 270WSM

Scorpion210

Beginner
Dec 29, 2004
For the past 20+ years I have been hunting with a 308 shooting plain vanilla Remington Core-lokts. I have recently jumped on the wsm bandwagon with the 270wsm. I am contemplating getting into reloading but until then I am shooting the Federal Premium line which offers several choices of Nosler bullets.

My question is this. I hunt Whitetails in Louisiana, mostly wooded area where shots range out to 100 or so yards with some pipeline shots that range out to 200 or so yards. Average size of the deer are 110# for a doe and 150# for a buck. The largest we have killed in the past 4 years was a 195# buck. I am currently using the 140gr Accubonds but I am looking for suggestions on which Nosler bullet best fits my hunting situation.

130gr Ballistic tips, 130gr solid base, 140gr Accubonds and 150gr Partitions are the choices. Which of these would best suit my hunting conditions. Best case is the deer will drop in its tracks but if it doesn't, I would like to have a blood trail to follow (considering good shot placement) with a good amount of energy dumped into the deer.

Suggestions?

Scorpion210,

I would suggest that you use the 140 gr AB in your 270WSM.
This bullet will hold together at close range and give you good performance at 200-300 yards. It will dump more than enough energy into the biggest WT deer you shoot for a quick kill.

Regards,

JD338

That is what I am using but for some reason I was thinking the solid base may need to be what I shoot but I just don't have enough experience with bullet types to know the difference.

If the 140 Accubonds shoot well then stay with them. If not go to the 150 Partition. What you want to do is be prepared for a trip out of state for heavier game. That magnum is overkill for deer but I use them too.

I shot a 220 lb buck at 191 yds with a 140 Ballsitic Tip and the bullet did not exit. The buck did not like that bullet and it fell down and stayed there.

For closer range hunting I am thinking of another bullet as well but for the longer ranges I hunt on that place I will use the BT again.

I would definitely go with the 140 Accubonds and Magpro powder. In my Savage, 70 gr of Magpro, Fer 215 primers and 140 Accubonds give me .250-.300 MOA at 100 yards and also 3200 fps. Plenty of wallop for long shots and supreme accuracy.

Hate to be redundant, but I also suggest the 140 gr AccuBond. I load mine with 65.0 gr of Vitavuori N-165 and Federal 210 primers. Nothing wrong with the Solid Base, Ballistic Tips or Partitions either, but I like the ballistic coefficient of the AccuBond combined with the bonded core. It is one load that should work well on antelope thru whitetails, mule deer and even elk, if I do my part. One down side I did note with the lead tipped bullets, they did deform a bit in the magazine from the recoil of the .270WSM. One more point in favor of the AccuBond.

Scorpion210-

sorry for the delay we are closed until Tuesday-

The 140AB is the ticket from what it sounds like you are hunting in

Thanks for the reply. That is what I am using, now I just need a deer to happen by so I can see the results.

Don't forget about the 140gr Partition in the 270 WSM.
I would try all the 140gr bullets then use the one that shoots the best.

Back