"Bullet Selection"

I'm with Fotis. When I find a load between 1/4" and 3/8" I quit. Lately that has been between the 1st load and the third load tried in my 6.5-300's, 7-300wm's, and 30-338 Norma Imp. I don't even like to play with seating depth. I try to jump between .010 and .020" and call it a day. That saves a lot more bullets for shooting stuff. I even shot 11 for 12 on rockchucks and pigeons last week with my 7-300wm. 162 Amax's are hard on both of them.

Guy Miner":374dp7be said:
When I got my first .375, I ended up with a large assortment of bullets from three different friends, all of whom used to hunt with .375's.

At one point I had over 1,000 .375 bullets, but no more than 150 of any given type & weight. So, although I quickly settled on two loads for the .375 for hunting purposes... I've been using a LOT of different loads in that Ruger Number One, just to shoot up the oddball bullets and get some practice. I didn't realize until I got one that there were so many different .375" bullets avail!

Guy
Guy, what bullet did you settle for your hunting load for the 375? I am trying to decide on which bullet for the 375 Ruger.

Not Guy here, but when I had my 375 Ruger the 260 gr AccuBond was a great all around load and the limited testing with the 300 gr AccuBond showed it was very good too. There are a lot of great 375 bullets out there some guys are raving about the 250 gr TTSX and GMX in their 375's.

gerry":28c6hbfp said:
Not Guy here, but when I had my 375 Ruger the 260 gr AccuBond was a great all around load and the limited testing with the 300 gr AccuBond showed it was very good too. There are a lot of great 375 bullets out there some guys are raving about the 250 gr TTSX and GMX in their 375's.
Trying to find the Accubonds but no luck. Only found Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Barns X bullets so far along with standard cup core bullets.

Another friend uses the 260 gr Partition with excellent results. You do give up a bit of range compared to the AccuBond but it still can do the job for most hunting situations. Probably hard to find a bad 375 bullet these days.

Hey Guy, I was just looking through my Berger catalog (please don't ban me from this site) and noticed a very nice Muley taken with a 25 cal by Guy Miner? Is this you? If so congrats on making the catalog! Nice deer and pretty cool!

Nice post Guy, after all's said & done I mostly fall into the two loads per rifle category...both working particularly well in my .25-06Rem.

Two loads, why? - well here in the UK getting hold of propellant & bullets is so 'hit & miss'. It's like feast & famine...but more famine than feast! Although, I did need a load for longer 'open hill' shooting too.

I got the Sierra 100gn 1620 Prohunter to work best first & have taken lots of reds with that bullet, but it does run out of steam for quick killing in excess of 250yards. So I had to work out a load for the 110gn AB - took a while but I got there. It works nicely out to 320yds & that's the longest shot I've taken with it. Best wishes, ET

Elmer, if you can get them, try the 110 AccuBond in your .25-06. They are very accurate and have a good, high ballistic coefficient for longer range. They should kill Red Deer very well.

I like a lot of other people have used bullets from Nosler Hornady & Sierra & to tell you all make good bullets.
In my .223 Rem with 26 inch barrel, I tried the above 3 makers of bullets & selected Hornady's V-Max 53gr for its high BC & at two hundred yds groups .77 inch good enough for a hunting rifle. My 6mm Rem has Shot Sierra 85gr BTHP & Hornadys 100gr BTSP Very well 300 yds under 2.2 inch groups. My .264 Win Mag 120gr BT & it shoots under 2.5 inch groups at 300 yds & is my Deer & Anelope gun. My 300 H & H Mag I use Nosler 180gr Partation but am switching over to 180 AB this is my Elk & Bear rifle.
My feelings on bullets today is Nosler BT for all Game Mule Deer & Caribou or smaller, great performance & high BC and are a bargain for what gets in performance & I highly recommend them. I see my self useing Nosler AB on any Large animals Elk or bigger or Bears.
Now for Varmit bullets one has to find a bullet that shoots well in your rifle, because of the small targets we shoot at Praire Dogs, Fox, Crows. I think Sierra makes excellent target bullets & Varmit bullets but I hate flatten bullet tips so I don't use there big game bullets & to tell the truth I never could get the Pro hunter bullets to shoot as well as Nosler' BT.
I also will tell you my feelings about bullet's cost is not a determine fact when buying for me, performance is what I want period, & for Big Game Nosler is it
Hornady makes some excellent Varmit bullets as well as Sierra & Nosler this is where I see more bullets of different weights being tried till you find one to your liking.

Hi OT3, I do use the 110gn AB in my .25-06. It's an excellent bullet and although I haven't yet taken a red stag using one, I have now taken a number of red hinds & calves.
Haven't recovered a bullet yet as they punch straight through, but the wee beasties fall over very quickly after taking the hit! Cheers, ET

I tend to have rifles dedicated to one purpose or another, and I like to find one good load for each. I've always hated the idea of having to go sight in a rifle because last week I was shooting and 85-grain BT and this week I want to shoot a 110-grain AccuBond. One exception would be my AR, for which I have a 60-grain Partition load and a 55-grain FMJ load, but the scope that goes on it is set to shoot the hunting load and the iron sights are set for the social load.

Sometimes I have to dream up a purpose for a rifle I want but I have not found that to be too difficult.

I hear ya. I have always been one of those bullet selection people choosing, say, the 338-06 over the Whelen due to the broader range of 338s over 35.

The more I've reloaded and hunted, however, the more I appreciate the fact that I only need one bullet per rifle, especially in big game rifles. This fall, for instance, I settled upon the 168 gr NBT in my 06 charged by Hunt as "the load to kill them all".

It's funny to me that you mention 25s; that seems to me to be a caliber that gets great representation! I mean you go from 75 gr VMax for woodchucks and coyotes up to 120 gr NPT for elk, and so much in between!

In my 257 AI I chose the 75 gr VMax @ 3600-ish & the 90 gr GMX @ around 3450. I love the 100 gr Interlock, Speer HP, 110 NAB, and 115 NPT & NBT. The loads for those 1st 2 have identical points of impact so that is my "versatile rifle" that I take west with me when prairie dogs, coyotes, pronghorn, and deer can all be on the menu.

All that having been said, I can't imagine what needs doing with a Whelen that a 225 gr NAB wouldn't do perfectly?

After many years of "loading" and "evaluating" bullets and loads I'm now just into shooting and hunting. All of my rifles are sighted in for one bullet and that is all I load for that rifle. For the most part they are all accubonds. The only exception is my 7mm Rem mag. That good model 70 classic shoots a 160 AccuBond at 3080fps with H-1000 to the same point of impact at 100yds as a 175gr Partition loaded to 2975fps with Retumbo. If I draw an elk tag, I wont' have to resight. Oh, and thanks to Nosler for the Pro Shop.

Palouser":309jxyr2 said:
Hey Guy, I was just looking through my Berger catalog (please don't ban me from this site) and noticed a very nice Muley taken with a 25 cal by Guy Miner? Is this you? If so congrats on making the catalog! Nice deer and pretty cool!

Yes, that's me and my 2008 mule deer, taken in the hills above home, here in central Washington.

I was familiar with Bergers from target competition and knew the advantage of their high BC VLD shape and also their attention to quality control. What I didn't know, and what the shooting world was just starting to discover, is that they're a fine bullet for medium game. I read an article by John Barsness, and decided to give them a try.

It was pretty easy to come up with a solid load, shooting well under MOA at good velocity (3190 fps). Zeroed the rifle at 300 as usual for the .25-06, then took it hunting. To say that I was pleased with the performance of the VLD on coyotes & mule deer would be an understatement. Three mule deer in a couple of states, as well as a few 'yotes... Excellent performance.

I was so happy with that wide '08 deer that I sent the photo to Berger and they asked if they could use it in their advertising. Of course!

I'm back to using my good old Noslers for the most part anymore, but the Bergers did completely impress me as an excellent deer bullet.

Regards, Guy

Back