Bullet test

buckfever

Handloader
Mar 21, 2007
I just got back from the range and tried the milk jug test with my 25 06 and 120 gr pt over 49 gr of IMR 4350 and Fed 210. I set the milk jugs at about 20 yards. I found the bullet in the 5th jug but there was a small hole in the sixth jug impact velocity was just over 3000. The bullet mushroomed perfectly and weighed 82 grs the little bullet did quit well.

POP, I'm envious. My personal best is 0.10 inch on a 22-250 load. On many of the new rifles for which I work up loads, 0.25" is common. These rifles will have just been broken in. With a few more rounds, they will only produce tighter groups. On the whole, these are well-built rifles that are a joy to shoot and easy to load for.

Adjusting seating depth with the Winchester magazines works wonders for rifles that otherwise are so-so for rounds. On my 7mm WSM, the first twelve loads were a bust, but adjusting seating depth on a load using AccuBonds so that they were 0.020" off the lands was the sweet spot that yields consistent 0.25" groups. Undoubtedly, I could achieve tighter groups, but this is a hunting rifle and I don't want to risk a jam or unseating a bullet when in the field.

The foregoing was posted to the wrong thread. It was meant to be in reply to POP on the question of group size.

Cool BUT............................................

391862.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back