Bullet Tip Flattening - Partition to A Frame?

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I am seriously considering working with the 225 grain Swift A Frame in my new 338, but I am curious on something.

In my model 70, 270 over the course of a few days hunting, the nosler partitions will have the nose flattened from carrying and banging around in the magazine. I am assuming that with the A Frame, because there is less exposed nose that this shouldn't be the case? I realize that at most normal shooting distances the flatten tip shouldn't matter, but psychologically it bugs me.

Another option would be the 225 Barnes TTSX, but I have heard so many good things about the A Frame, I kind of want to try them.

The nose on the A-Frame is somewhat flattened by design. Shouldn't be a problem. I like the A-Frame bullet; it is a great bullet for maintain integrity under tough conditions.

Heavy recoil seems to cause this problem also. I just use the ones the tips have flattened for practice ammo and always keep a fresh round in the chamber for the first shot.

Don't forget the AccuBond. It was designed to expand and penetrate like a Partition, but with a streamlined tip that won't deform in the magazine.

In my experience with the 260 grain AccuBond from my .375 H&H, these things are winners!

In .338 cal, Nosler makes quite a variety of AccuBond bullets: 180, 200, 225, 250, and even 300 grains!

No tip deformation. Penetration & expansion similar to a Partition. Seems like a win to me.

Here's the only one of those 260's I recovered from a black bear, shot at about 10 - 15 feet in the brush:

AccuBond is a very serious big game bullet.

Regards, Guy

The 225gr AB is going to be my next bullet load development for the 35Whelen/AI for just that reason.

A friend of mine guides bear and moose hunts on the peninsula. He loves the A frame.
I have gone back and forth with my .338 using 250 gr partitions and accubonds for elk. I've been pleased with AB taking elk from 30 yards to 425.
IMG_0067.JPG
This is the only one I've recovered;
MV 2950; 425 yards; about 400 feet below me.
The bullet shattered the ball joint on the near shoulder, hit a rib, through the lungs, another rib, through the "tricep" stopping against the hide.

I've never hunted with the Aframe. Don't recall ever reading anything bad about them.
I'm just one of those guys, I try to buy " made in Oregon first"
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't sweat the Partition. A-Frames are awesome as well but for normal guys the little bit of flattening doesn't make a hill of beans difference.

I've used Partitions for many years. The potential for some deformation of the exposed lead has never given me a moment's pause.

I used Partitions in my 270win for over 20 years & know that some of my bullets likely had flattened points but they always did the job for me :wink:.
I now use Accubonds almost exclusively & they don't present that problem.
But I am just regurgitating what has already been said.

Blessings,
Dan

I like the partitions, but TOTALLY AGREE with Guy on the Accubonds. You can't go wrong there! :wink:

Don

Back