Win. Model 70 30-06 deforms bullet tips?

jason miller":lzshom8d said:
My m70 30-06 deforms the tips of both 180 Partitions and Ballistic Tips. Normally, the plastic tip just becomes slightly blunt, but sometimes it will shear a little piece off of it.

I have reloaded some bullets to the max length that my mod 70 will allow. I will also try to load the rounds in and move them as far forward in the magazine as I can to see if that will help the deforming. I do not know if it is a mod 70 issue only as my dad has the same mod 70 as I do and it will deform them as well. Maybe I should write to Winchester Arms and ask them if they have ever had complaints about this issue before.

I always single load my Model 70's anyway. One cartridge in the chamber one in the magazine. I do not believe that I ever got any chance to fire a third shot at game anyways?

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy owning an 1885 instead of a 70. One of those shot show specials in 6.5x55 would be incredible. Wouldn't have to worry about the magazine at all that way...

The reason the protected point has a lower BC than the spire point is because it's more than just flattened at the tip, it has a much wider meplat and is also a shorter bullet.

I've also found plastic tips from BTs in deer, so they definitely stay intact. They aren't just cheap plastic though, they are a nylon blend which has quite a high melt temperature, around 480C.

The ogive contacts the rifling, not the tip. A defect in the ogive or base of a bullet has the same effect as a bad crown. Now I'd have too go thru a bunch of old magazines but there is an article by either Layne Simpson or Wayne VanZwoll, where they cut the tips off of standard soft points with side cutters . They never cut them all the same and they never re weighed the bullets with three shooters they could hardly tell the base groups( non deformed) from the cut ones. This was to 200 yrds I believe . Anyways it would effect the BC but not till out past what a 180 and an 06' were meant for. 650+ IMHO.

That is what I said about old dinged Partition rounds being carried in the magazine and then in the pocket and subsequently shot for groups at 200 yards. There was no little or no difference in grouping that I could see.

Oldtrader3":1fe24rd7 said:
I always single load my Model 70's anyway. One cartridge in the chamber one in the magazine. I do not believe that I ever got any chance to fire a third shot at game anyways?

Oldtrader3":1fe24rd7 said:
THat is what I siad about old dinged Partition rounds being carried in the magazine and then in the pocket and subsequently shot for groups at 200 yards. There was no little or no difference in grouping that I could see.

I usually have one round chambered and either 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine. This really depended on where I was hunting and for what. If I was in the alpine looking for either big mulies or bull elk there was a good chance that I would see either sign or a grizzly on a distant ridge. I would like to know that I would have every oportunity to protect myself with as much lead as I could send in a charge situation. That being said when I am hunting whitetails there is usually only 2 in the mag.

super-7":295i3dz5 said:
The ogive contacts the rifling, not the tip. A defect in the ogive or base of a bullet has the same effect as a bad crown. Now I'd have too go thru a bunch of old magazines but there is an article by either Layne Simpson or Wayne VanZwoll, where they cut the tips off of standard soft points with side cutters . They never cut them all the same and they never re weighed the bullets with three shooters they could hardly tell the base groups( non deformed) from the cut ones. This was to 200 yrds I believe . Anyways it would effect the BC but not till out past what a 180 and an 06' were meant for. 650+ IMHO.

This might be a fun senario to try at the range this off season. Fire some rounds as perfect as could be, then some deformed from magazine damage, and others with the tips sidecut off. 200 and 300 yd trials should tell me what the difference would be.

I always carried a big bore revolver as well. I have not seen many grizzlies in the lower 48, only one in Wyoming some years ago.

I have a .308 Win. and had a great load for it with the 165 grain Hornady Interbond. The problem was the OAL was too long for my magazine. So I tried something. I carefully pulled the polymer tips out and they fit in the magazine. Great! However, the tipped bullets would shoot about 3/4 MOA, the pulled tipped bullets I couldn't keep on 8.5x11 paper at 100 yards. . .Needless to say, I found a load with TSX that shot better and fits in my magazine.

nosler06":j1a5lcju said:
super-7":j1a5lcju said:

This might be a fun senario to try at the range this off season. Fire some rounds as perfect as could be, then some deformed from magazine damage, and others with the tips sidecut off. 200 and 300 yd trials should tell me what the difference would be.

To keep it fair have someone else load the rifle each time keeping track of groups. This way as your shooting you have no bias's .

At typical hunting ranges, there's not a lot of difference in point of impact from a damaged or undamaged bullet tip.

As the range grows however, small things like the tip shape become more important. This is why long range target shooters pay a lot of attention to the tips of their bullets. There are even tools that "uniform" the tips of hollow point match bullets - making them all the same - better than from the factory.

BTW - I liked the reply that mentioned the single - shot rifle - yup - they "feed" pretty much anything... Yet another reason to like the Ruger Number One!

Regards, Guy

Ido like the Ruger Number One and they only handle one cartridge at a time, so tip damage is not an issue,lthough I doubt with the 9.3x74R and a 276 grain semi-spitzer that you could do much to the tip to make a difference in accuracy anyway!

Back