Bullets for elk

winston

Beginner
Jan 2, 2007
I have just startad elk hunting and I have a 300 rum and was wondering what bullet would be best in the 180 grain ballistic tip or the AccuBond

I would go with the 180 gr AB or PT. If you go up to the 200 gr AB, you will have a real elk hammer.

JD338

Well, you asked what would be best and its the 200g AB. The 180g bullets are ok in 300 Win mag size cases, but why not take advantage of all that powder and shoot the big 200g?? It will have superior penetration and knockdown power compared to those 180g bullets at all ranges. I shot the 200g AB at a comfortable 3100fps and shot a couple spikes with it. It left baseball size holes through the elk and needless to say, the elk didn't make it very far. Ranges were 250, 513 yards.

I'd go with the AccuBond or the Partition rather than the ballistic tip for elk.

Elk are big & strong, especially if you're going for those big trophy class bulls. Also, a .300 RUM can send a bullet out at velocity that will destroy it on impact if it's not well built. I think very highly of the ballistic tip for deer size game where penetration is not usually an issue. For elk, I want something built with more penetration in mind. Frankly I think the heavier partitions are perfect for elk.

Heck, that's what I used, 175 grain Nosler Partition handloaded to 2930 fps from my 7mm Rem mag. Worked great. Complete penetration, and took him down quickly.

FWIW, Guy

I second what Remingtonman said. Go with the 200AB. I just recently bought a 300RUM and have loaded 200ABs for elk, moose and bear. My load is:
95gn of Retumbo
Rem brass
Fed GM215M primer
COL 3.635
Average 6 shot velocity: 3137fps

To break in (pop its cherry)my 300RUM, I used 180ABs to harvest a 200+ lbs hog here in CA. Field dressed, it weighed in at 172lbs. Even at the 50 or so yards that I shot it at, bullet performance was nothing less than fantastic. See the reloading forum topic "Recovered AccuBond".

Richracer1":j9ph17zh said:
300RUM and have loaded 200ABs for elk, moose and bear. My load is:
95gn of Retumbo
Rem brass
Fed GM215M primer
COL 3.635
Average 6 shot velocity: 3137fps

HAMMER TIME :lol:

JD338

Definitely a Partition or AccuBond number one. After that either a 180gr or 200gr bullet. Your 300mag may limit how long a bullet you can use. I would prefer the 200gr AB but you mag box may be too short. That is why we build the 180gr Partition with the protected point.

Back