Burris Signature Scope 4x16x44 not tracking correctly

G

I was shooting my 300RUM yesterday, from the lead sled at 100 yds, 50-degree weather, same solid set up as always and decided to sight the gun in for this load. Gun was shooting 1.5 " right so I adjusted it 6-clicks left( 1/4" @100yds) it shot 2.25" left. finally got it centered after a few more shots. The gun was 1" high so I adjusted it 8-clicks to move up 2" as I want it to print 3" high at 100 yds. The shot was 3" high. Seems like it takes a few shots to settle in after making adjustments. I do not recall this ever happening before since I have owned this scope. Scope mounts and rings are tight, stock screws are tight, barrel is free floated with pillars no binding is taking place. I know its not the load as it is proven and groups very well.

Anyone have suggestions, maybe the scope having internal issues?

Thanks,
Don

Try the box test. If not successful send it to Burris for repairs.

In optics that is my biggest pet peeve, especially in a turret turning scope.

Fotis,
Forgive me, but explain the box test, not sure what that is.

Thanks,
Don

A "Box Test" is nothing more than a shooting exercise performed to determine how well your scope moves the point of impact when designated corrections are dialed in by the turret adjustments. In other words, does the scope adjust the correct amount as indicated by the graduations on the dials, (and owner's manual), and does it move repeatedly from one setting to another?
To be performed correctly, certain conditions should be met.
First, the shooter must be capable of accurate work, preferably with a sound benchrest- shooting technique. Past performance is a good start in determining this.
Second, the rifle used must also be capable of very good and proven accuracy.
Same with the ammo used, which should be of the same lot, and of previously proven consistency.
Also, the exact distance from bolt face to target should be verified, within a yard or two if possible, and 100 yards is the usual standard. Depending upon conditions, longer or shorter distances can be used, but the proper math must then be applied to the results to validate them.
Test should be performed under calm and otherwise favorable shooting conditions, with few distractions. It is nice to have a helper to keep notes, help count clicks, post targets, etc. The rifle should zeroed in for the distance used,and then be cleaned thoroughly before the test, and a fouling shot or two taken after said cleaning.
Okay, now to begin:
Set up a large, clean target with a single small aiming point marked in the center. Don't use commercial targets, animal or human sillouettes, etc. (Too distracting.) Plain white or light gray poster paper or cardboard is best. Mark which end is "top" (for later comparison.)
Carefully fire one shot. It should be right on to the point of aim if you zeroed it properly earlier.
Now dial "UP" ten Minutes of Angle, or whatever you want to move it. It doesn't really matter as long as you don't move it completely off the paper, and as long as you keep accurate notes of exactly how many clicks you dialed. The closer you can get to the edges, the more valid your test will be. In other words, a 20" x20" finished box test is far more trustworthy than a 6"x6" box test. You see, the more correction you dial, the more will very slight errors between clicks build upon one another to give really truthful, (and possibly disappointing) results.
Fire another round. (Use the original aiming point throughout the entire test without the slightest deviation.)
Note the result.
Dial the windage turret "RIGHT" ten minutes.
Fire another round. Note the result.
Dial "DOWN" twenty minutes and fire another round. Note the result.
Dial "LEFT" Twenty minutes and fire another round. Note the result.
Dial "Up" Twenty minutes and fire another round. Note the result.
In a perfect world, you now have a target with one hole on the center, at the point of aim, another hole ten inches above it and four more making a perfect 20-inch by 20-inch square with the aiming point exactly centered. Measure it carefully and go home happy.
Or not.
There are many valid variations of this test, of course, such as firing groups of three or five at each corner before dialing, or continuing around the box, firing one round in each corner, dialing to the next one, etc., several times around, and then back to center or whatever.
And so forth.
The most important things, though, I have outlined above, and should give reliable results if no steps are omitted...

TargetBoxCrop2.jpg

Fotis,
Where can I get targets like the one you posted?

JD,
Thanks for the input. I am going to proceed with the box test.

Don

Back