Bye bye 270 WSM, hello 280 AI!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
OK this is really happening. Maybe I've tried more than I think I would of normally to get this gun to shoot and its just not happening how I want it to. I can get it to shoot one day and not the next, the one load that does shoot good in it it to hot. I can only use the brass three times before primers fall out. So I got it listed in the local paper, and got my wish list at midway full of everything I need.

Going to be ordering a stainless super match 25" No3 Pac-Nor, and heading to the local pawn shop to find a used savage action. I'm going to build this rifle myself. I'm going with a Boyds wood stock that I will finish myself, and I'm going to Dura-Coat the action, bolt, and barrel a snow grey color so they all match. Going with the stock trigger for now for budget reasons, it can always be changed later.

I'm really looking forward to this project for some reason. Hope it all works out. I know this might not make sence to everybody, but I guess that is part of being a gun nut. To each his own.

You have no clue what kind of satisfaction you will get. What rifle is the 270 wsm currently in?
Another choice is rebarreling it to 7mm wsm.

I had awesome luck with them. A 25" Pacnor (I would get the fluted) will drive the 160 AccuBond to 3100 fps and the 150 close to 3200!

Something to think about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To bad about your 270 WSM but sounds like a great idea going with a 280 AI and a savage action.

POP has a good point that could save a dollar or two. I have shot several 7mm WSMs and all shot very well indeed. Sorry to hear about your 270 WSM, however. On the other hand, a 280 AI would not be a bad choice.

I am done with the WSM thing. The rifle I am selling is a Rem 700 Boone &Crokett edition. It is a very nice looking rifle. I'm leaning towards the 160 AB out of the 280 AI. Should be able to get pretty close to 3000 fps.

By selling the 270 WSM I get the funds to build this new project, and I can build it. If I rebarel the 270 WSM I have to come up with another $705 to have Pac-Nor mount a fluted stainless barrel.

I'm not saying that the WSM rounds are worthless, but this particular one gave me fits. I'm sure there are a bunch of them that shoot great.

They don't fit in my shell plate very well, and RCBS doesn't make the right plate for my press (an RCBS 4X4 progressive that I have gutted the progressive parts out of). They don't fit my shell holder tray on my bench very well, and I just find myself getting upset at the short fat little guys all the time for some reason or other.

My good friend I load for had a Remington Model 700 MTN rifle in 30-06 that had been glass bedded and the trigger adjusted to 3 pounds. It would shoot pretty darn good considering the light barrel, and a load I had for him with 165 gr. Noslers shot 3-shot groups of an inch or just slightly under. Only problem is, next time we would go out and shoot, the point of impact would be off someplace about 2 inches. We would get her hitting just right again, and a month later when he shot it was off again! The action screws and scope mounts were checked and all was good. The smith who did the bedding did a great job and has done several rifles for me. HE IS GOOD.

This rifle had some Gremlin and it drove us nuts! :evil: It certainly did NOTHING for his confidence that when the time came to pull the trigger, was it was going to be on, or was it going to shoot wherever the heck IT wanted to! He sold it. :idea:

It sounds like you tried everything, and we know how much this whole shooting game can be a mental thing as well, and if you don't have confidence in your rifle, you don't have much. Sounds like your idea for a new build is going to be great! Much success and small little groups are in your future!! :grin:

jmad,

That is the beautiful thing about having soooooo many options in front of you! Good luck on your project.

jmad_81

You will like the 280 AI. Mine is a sweat heart, fun to shoot and very accurate! The 160 gr AB is the bullet of choice and you will have no problems getting 3000 fps, I get that with a 24" Hart barrel.
Let me know what I can do to help you with load data.

JD338

jmad_81, if this is your first build project you couldn't have picked a better action to work with in the Savage. Simple and very easy to accurize not to mention the 280 AI is a wonderful caliber. If your not completely sold on the Boyds stock and want another option check these out. May even fit into your bugget plans better. You may even be able to get that trigger with the extra money. Triggers can make or break a good custom build and you certainly don't want to go with the accutrigger. Just my opinion!

http://rifle-stocks.com/laminated_woods.htm

Good luck and update us on your progression.

Like Larry Potterfield always say's..only accurate rifles are interesting, is your rifle interesting?

Bill

6mm- I have tried Magpro, RL 22,25 and IMR 7828 140 AB, 130 AB & ET. I had a load or two with each powder and bullet that would shoot under an inch one day and then the next day they would be all over the place. Absolutely no confidence in this rifle and it doesn't feel very good :(. So a change is in order.

7mmxbolt- I checked out those stocks, they look pretty dang nice. I'll keep my options open when the time comes. Thanks for the info.

JD- I'm sure I'll be getting ahold of you for a bit of help on load data. I saved the other post you did that had all 120, 140, 160 loads on them. Hope you don't mind but I was planning on starting under them and working up.

Ad comes out today so I'll keep everybody posted.
Thanks

jmad_81

I am here to help when you are ready.

JD338

JMAD, sorry to hear about your 270WSM. Your new 280AI should be a hammer and better since you built it yourself! Scotty

You will love the 280AI and the 160 gr AccuBond is a great bullet! For example this past weekend this Miss Piggy (210 pounds) was DRT with a shot that went through both front shoulders
DSCN1806.jpg

My load uses RL25, Fed215M's and Nosler 280 rem brass (not the 280AI brass which gets do-nuts in my gun) and gets a very consistant 3025 fps with the 26" Hart 1 in 8 twist barrel.

My favorite gun and is one of the guns I carry on anything from Antelope to Elk.

Very nice rifle woods. Are the pigs good to eat? I would think that they would be????

280------- 280AI Either way it's a winner! Best 7mm out there. Oh am I ever going to hear it from those 7 RUM fans!! :twisted:

jmad_81,
You are going to love the versatility of the 280ai. I think it is very under rated. You can load it light enough for the little ones to shoot and heavy enough to take down elk.
You can't go wrong with a Pac-Nor barrel either.
Oregon has a couple of really great manufactures -Nosler and Pac-Nor.

Pigs are great eating if you shoot them in cold weather, especially if they are in good shape and well fed. The meat is clear and white. Mix it with this (which I also shot with the same rifle and bullet last weekend)
DSCN1800.jpg

and you have some great sausage!

On the deer I shot him through the lungs and he ran about 40 yards with a large blood trail. The AccuBond did a good job with a complete pass thru and good blood trail.

woods,

Looks as if it has been a good season for you. Nice looking deer and a fine sow. I daresay the sausage was good!

Woods- that is one fine looking rifle you have there. It looks like a twin to my 338 WM. We don't have any pigs around here, or I would be breaking in the new rifle on them. If I have any luck I should draw a spring bear tag this year though!

#7- thats kind of what I was hoping for. This gun will be my primary deer, speed goat gun, as well as a bear, elk back up. The 280 AI ought to round out my big game hunting trio nicely(280 AI, 338 WM, 375 R) .

Got two calls on the 270 WSM today, a lady is going to buy it from me this weekend. The projet begins!

Back