Cartridges you can NOT do without?

POP":2khq8rpo said:
OK let's hear your favorites. If in doubt list the last one you would not part with. Rifle/handgun
Mine are:

Rifle ----My SAKO 75 300 RUM
Handgun---- My Kimber Team Match 45 ACP

I guess my 30-06 would have to make the short list. I killed my first deer with it 6 years ago, shot it so much I wore out the barrel, had Pac-Nor put a sporter-weight 22" tube back on it... I love the thing. It started out as a M700 Mountain Rifle LSS but now has the heavier barrel and a Jewell trigger. I killed last year's buck with that rifle and a 180-gn AccuBond and it worked perfectly.

It'd be awfully hard to not have a .358 Winchester around now that I've gotten hooked on it for blacktail hunting. It's perfect. My first was a BLR bu then I had my Model 7 rebarreled with a 20" P-N Supermatch barrel and it's just an unbelievable little rifle. This year's blacktail were both small but it sure did put 'em down.

And I'd sure hate to be without a .338 Win Mag. My XCR shoots great box stock and I love it. While I know it can be a great all-arounder, for me it's my elk rifle, and my fantasy "go to Alaska" rifle.

I could, except for sentimental/practical reasons ($$) replace both the '06 AND the .338 WM with a .325 WSM, though. That's a great caliber. In my rifle, it ain't what Winnie claimed for velocity, not even close, but it's still cool. I'd be just fine hunting any deer or elk or black bear tag with a good .325 WSM. In my case, it's a BLR, but if I could only have a rifle or two the BLR would not make the list due to the trigger. But how about a Kimber Montana 8400 in .325 WSM?

If I could only have ONE of my rifles, it'd have to be the 30-06. I could hunt any critter I want to hunt with that rifle. With modern bullets a 30-06 is one hell of a hammer.

As far as pistols, if I could only have one, I guess my Kahr P45 since it packs some punch but is very concealable. But giving up my 44 mag S&W would hurt, and I love my dinosaur, a Kimber 1911.

Having started a new career as a real estate agent, which is notoriously hard to get started in, believe me when I say that I have cast an appraising eye into my gun safe, "just in case"...

-jeff

I could never get rid of my Winchester mod 70 xtr sporter in 270, that gun has been killing deer for 20 years when my grandfather bought it, it became mine when I was 10 and has been my rifle of choice for the last 11 years.

My ruger 10/22 I couldnt part with, I learned to shoot on a 22LR and in a few months thats how my little cousins are gonna learn how to shoot.

My 300 Win for elk (Winchester 70) 180grain ABs
My 308 for black bear (Savage 99E) 165grain PTs
My 30-06 for deer (Winchester 70) 165grain PTs
My 25-06 for coyotes and antelope (Rem 700) 100 BTs

As for handguns, I have a sweet 45 Colt sixgun thatll do anything I need a handgun for.

For the rifle, thats easy...My Weatherby SUB-MOA stainless/synthetic in .338 win mag. It has a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x on it and shoots the 225 AB load from Federal into a nice cloverleaf. That is my all-around rifle/load for anything in N. America including killer woodchucks...

My fav handgun is my CCW gun. It is a Sig-Sauer p-226 chambered in .357 sig. It has the stainless upper and I added a Hogue finger-groove grip. It shoots all ammo very accurately but loves speer 125 gr gold dots.

For the rifle, thats easy...My Weatherby SUB-MOA stainless/synthetic in .338 win mag. It has a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x on it and shoots the 225 AB load from Federal into a nice cloverleaf. That is my all-around rifle/load for anything in N. America including killer woodchucks...

My fav handgun is my CCW gun. It is a Sig-Sauer p-226 chambered in .357 sig. It has the stainless upper and I added a Hogue finger-groove grip. It shoots all ammo very accurately but loves speer 125 gr gold dots.

Ruger #1B 280 Rem for Deer, extremely wide range of loading possibilities, being a 7mm.

It will accurately shoot anything from 120 to 150 gr hunting bullets and will cut a single hole with 100 gr solids at the range, good bullets if I want to drill a 'Yote without blowing him up.

Overall a fairly short rifle, yet with a 26" barrel, allowing me to get max velocity from my loads. No magazine to limit my OAL. Heavy enough to be pleasant shooting with even the hottest loads.

Anschutz 22lr (small game)
M 70 Coyote 234 / 6-18 leupold (varmints)
M 70 pre 64 action 257 AI / 2.5-8 leupold (deer)
M 70 Featherweight Stainless Walnut 270 / 3.5-10 leupold (long range deer)
M 94 made in 1952 32 special / open sights (close range deer)
M 700 Classic 35 Whelen / 1.5-5 leupold (bears)
Ithica NID 16 guage (grouse)

I can live with out them!!!

Back