Cartridges You Don't Load For

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Curious if you guys have any rifles/handguns you choose NOT to load for and use retail ammo. For me it's the 350 legend and the 380 ACP. I would like to start loading for the 350 when there's a better selection of hunting projectiles for it, it's also something I'm not worried about trying to make it into a tack driver. It seems it also causes headaches with head spacing off the mouth and crimping. I've loaded 1000's of 380's in the past, but now I find fooling with those tiny cases and bullets frustrating.

The only cartridge out of 22 (pistol and rifle combined) 5.7x28 is the only 1 (I do have the dies, but need to decide on which bullet(s) will be used).
Pistol
9mm
357sig
40s&w
10mm
44mag
45acp
50ae

Rifle
223/5.56
243win
6.5gren
6.5creed
260rem
6.5prc
264wm
6.8spc
270win
300bo
308win
300wm
338lm
45-70gvt

I once swore to myself that I'd never load for an AR15. That went out the window when I started hunting hogs with an AR about 15 years ago.

Then I swore I'd never load 5.56 55-grain FMJs. That went out the window when The Zero started talking about banning some ammo, or something along those lines, and induced a panic.

(I next swore I'd never own a 9mm, and then...you guessed it.)

Then I swore I'd never load 9mm ammo (even though I had loaded some for a relative way back in the 90s.

Then I swore to myself that I'd only load my own "social purposes" ammo for 9mm since I could easily duplicate the Hornady 124-grain XTP load.

Then I caved when I began to consider the possibilities of more ammo shortages couple with the practicality of Berry's plated Hybrid 124-grain HPs PLUS the fact that I had an ideal 9mm powder sitting on the shelf (which did not work out well in the 10mm, that's why it was there) in quantity.

I'm no longer swearing to myself that I'll refrain from loading anything at all anymore, but I do try to keep myself convinced that reloading spent .22 LR would be insane (like THAT would stop me...hahahaha). I find that pretty easy since I can glance over and look at several unopened cases of rimfire ammo and a whole shelf covered with various flavors of .22 LR. I try to completely ignore any talk of rimfire reloading and do not look at the supplies for that endeavor on-line just like I do not test drive BMWs and Corvettes. Ever.

I don’t load for rim fire or 556/223.
30 years ago I gave up loading shot shells.
When I was on the job a group of us purchased a Dillion loader. As I neared retirement I traded for 5000 230 gr 45 and 5000 180s in 40 cal. Loaded it all up before I left, still have some so I havnt loaded any of those in 12 years. probably make it through this year.

I can't reload 9mm ammo for less than I can buy it for, so that's out.
Other than that, it's only the rimfire cartridges that I buy.

Back