Ceramic African Rosewood

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I finally discovered what it takes to get ceramic to sound good. It wasn’t so much in the design of the call but the ceramic itself. Getting it conditioned was key, I always tried the usual sandpaper, scuff pad etc, but ceramic is so hard I finally stuck it on the belt sander. That did it, I suspect it was a glaze that needed removed . It should stay conditioned a long time and be easier to condition for now on. This one is in an African Rosewood pot and comes with a matching striker and one of my tipped waterproof strikers. $65 TYD. PayPal friends/family, Venmo, Cash App.
Thanks and reach out with any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0630.jpeg
    IMG_0630.jpeg
    649.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    744.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 13
Working through problems encountered gives such satisfaction! Congratulations. It is a handsome piece of work, to be sure. Just how long does it require for you to produce a call on average?

Working through problems encountered gives such satisfaction! Congratulations. It is a handsome piece of work, to be sure. Just how long does it require for you to produce a call on average?
Actual turning of the call and drilling the holes only takes a couple hours, that's going easy and taking several measurements along the way. To have it completely finished and ready to hold up to the elements takes about 10 days. First up is to put finish on the inside, even if it won't be seen, it protects the wood from moisture and swelling. Then let that finish sit for about a day and glue in the sound board. Weight it down and let it sit overnight for the glue to cure. Before I glue in the playing surface I apply finish to the outside. Usually 4 coats allowing a day between to cure. Then I set it aside for at least 4-5 days for the finish to fully cure so that when I glue in the playing surface and clamp it, the spring clamps won't leave marks in the finish. Then overnight to let the glue cure on the playing surface.

Last edited:
Howie, if you've never tried it, you should try a stone like you'd condition glass or crystal. They are great to condition ceramic surfaced pot calls with.

Your call looks fantastic

Howie, if you've never tried it, you should try a stone like you'd condition glass or crystal. They are great to condition ceramic surfaced pot calls with.

Your call looks fantastic
Yeah, I have the stones and will certainly try them Thanks!. New ceramic from the factory is some tough stuff. I assume call makers break down that glaze, or whatever it is, before shipping the call. I'm wondering how it would respond to bead blasting.

Back