CFE BLK vs AA1680

frankm

Handloader
May 10, 2009
Anyone have first hand experience testing these 2 powders against each other?

I ve been using AA1680 in my 17 Hornet for past 5 years or so and it had produced my best accuracy prior to CFE BLK coming out. Picked up a pound of BLK to compare to my standard AA1680 loads. At maximum published loads for both shooting 20 and 25 grain bullets the BLK gave me right at 200 fps more. Accuracy seemed comparable in my limited testing.

Wondering what others are finding in their comparisons. Interested specifically in 17 Hornet but also if you ve done work with other cartridges such as 221 Fireball, 300 Blkout, etc.

Thx in advance for sharing any of your findings gentlemen!

Probably not a lot of .17 Hornet shooters out there. I use A1680 for .300 BLK subs. Have tried a few others but always come back to it. 11-12gr depending on bullet. I like to keep them around 1000fps. Will cycle in an AR but I use a single shot TC Encore these days.

Gbflyer, you re right that not a lot of 17 Hornet shooters but thought I might find a couple. I know Fotis had gotten one about the time I did.

CFE BLK was developed with the 300 BO in mind... maybe something for you to try sometime.

Thx for your reply.

Back