Christmas

DSchaff

Beginner
Jan 1, 2017
I got a S/W M&P 45 Auto for Christmas. I would like to reload for Bear, Wolves, and Lions. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

230gr commercial or military ball ammo would be your best bet for defense against these animals.

I have some 230gr ammo, what about reloading? You also have a great 7mm load did you ever figure it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't had time to get back to the range to try more loads yet to tune it up.
With your 45 I wouldn't look at any hollow point bullets unless it is for defense against two legged adversaries. A 200gr semi wad cutter loaded hot will carry the mail also. Since the animals you mentioned will want to eat you you will need a bullet and load that will penetrate so the heavier the better and reload as hot as is safe in your hand gun. Also shoot it a lot to get use to the recoil which can be hard to control in a 45 auto pistol and shoot accurately. That's why the military went to the 9mm since so many of the troops couldn't shoot it consistently. But it is a great man stopper.

Good advice, I live in grizzly county. I got all kinds of advice before asking for a 45. I want close range, beat eating me, stopping power. I have hunted with my bow for years around bears, wolves, and lions just need a good stopping round. I am not worried about humans; although, maybe I should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is better than nothing but would look for a good revolver in 44mag which would be better or a 460 Ruger or 500S&W with a 4" barrel. A big frame Ruger or Dan Wesson will help tame the recoil on the big mags.

You are right, problem is I need light weight, cleanable protection. I can hike any were from 7 to 20 miles a day. I need a light compact with power. I am cross grizz tracks on an hourly basis. Caring a 44 or bigger with 6 rounds gets heavy. Need a lot of rounds with less weight. You know your stuff on reloading. What would you reload for a 45?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I mostly load target ammo in the 45acp so really can't be much help and my defense load for 2 legged critters is a 200grain hard cast semi wad cutter load.
There is a thread on here about the 10mm since you need light weight and more rounds that would be better for you than the 45acp. A 200gr bullet at 1200 -1300fps would be better than a 230gr at 850fps. JMO

460 Rowland conversion is the most power you can safely pack in a 45acp semiauto. I don't have a M&P but run a Kimber II Target model w/ a 5" barrel. All the listed velocities are over my chrono with both GA ammo and handloads using either Longshot or PowerPistol. Also imo the 460R is easier to shoot than full house 10mm loads. Less muzzle flip and less twisting. Mine is quite accurate to boot.
200gr @ 1400+fps
230gr @ 1300+fps
260gr @ 1100+fps

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,238
Back