Chrome Moly Barrel?

trsmith1818

Beginner
Jul 17, 2011
In my research for building my custom rifle I am trying to decide between SS vs Moly. I am pretty sure that both barrel compositions will shoot better than I can. Do I have to "blue" CM? I think the black looks good in contrast to my SS action. I just dont want to worry about insane rust prevention, as I do plan on actually hunting with this rifle in the woods

Chromolly and Krylon are like peas and carrots. Keep the outside painted and the bore oiled when in storage.

Good information, Rommel. trsmith, rust is only a problem when we imagine we can ignore our firearm. No rifle is meant to be ridden hard and put away wet; there is a cost to such neglect. You'll be fine in that department with either composition with normal care and attention.

so....do I have to blue a chrom moly barrel to prevent it from rusting? or can I use as delivered without additional blueing?

It doesn't need to be blued. You can coat the barrel with any number of coatings, most of which give a measure of protection. However, if you desire to leave it in the white, it will be just fine. Some barrels I Teflon coat, and some I leave in the white. It depends on the action. I haven't blued a barrel in years, though there is no particular reason why it couldn't be done.

If I decide to leave it "white" what is the best way to protect it? Is there a silicone wipe od oil to rub it down with before/after going into the field

Dry your rifle in timely fashion when it is wet. Wipe the bore after wet weather. Be cautious about bringing the rifle into a warm place after it has been cold. Condensation will need to be wiped off and out in that event after the rifle has warmed to ambient interior temperature. Otherwise, any good metal treatment will work to exclude moisture. I use a lot of G96 Gun Treatment or wipe the exterior with Gun Wipes to leave a thin film of protection on the rifle. After bringing the rifle in after cold weather, I usually run a couple of dry patches through the bore. If it got wet, I run a patch sprayed with G96, followed by a couple of dry patches to address any potential rust issues. I've never had a problem to date.

The Martensite conversion of 4140 Chrome Moly steel crytal formation makes it more corrosion resisitant than other steels with do not have high enough carbon content to convert through tempering.

Just a question....why would you leave chrome moly in the white, when you could just get stainless?
Surely not to save a few quid?
Cheers, Tom

Some people like the look. Stainless is shinier. Chromoly has a duller appearance.

OK Mike/OT that's clear, however, none of the SS barrels/handguns I've seen, look what I'd call shiny (As in nickel). They all look rather dull in appearance anyway.
So given SS has much greater weather bearing properties (In case of limited attention) and since a blued rifle for hunting, IMO looks far smarter and much more tasteful, perhaps requiring slightly more attention, I still don't really understand why you'd leave it in the white.

I can understand wanting it blued rather than blacked, not that to me it matters much...but stainless/white for hunting when the hunter is trying to be 'Discreet' doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. Varmint shooting is different and discretion doesn't usually matter as much.

Each to their own of course, I'm just curious about this. A good friend has recently had similar discussions when starting out on his custom 6.5x47 Lapua build (Nearly complete now).
He opted for 'Traditional style' & got a nice piece of old stick for the stock then decided on blued metalwork, but with a stailess bolt. His barrel is 24" Shilen, action GBR England, Arnold Jewel trigger.
It's currently waiting to be chequered.
Roger has even cleaned his old BSA rifle in case this one's not ready to go in a week's time!!!
Cheers, Tom

That's why we have chocolate and vanilla. I've not found that stainless is a hindrance in the field with game. True, stainless does shine, but I've never observed animals fleeing from the flash of sunlight. I have other barrels that are Teflon coated. I personally like the look. I do understand the attraction of a classic blued barrel; most of my rifles do have blued barrels. I also have some in the white. I prefer a consistent look with the barrel matching action, but it isn't a campaign for me. As I continue telling my hunting partner, accuracy enhances many an ugly rifle.

So true Mike, accuracy is the bit that matters, all else being equal. I was just curious, especially as chrome moly white is so rare over here. I've never actually seen one! Cheers, Tom

Bead blast stainless or a coating. Parkerize a chrome moly after bead blasting or coat it. With the huminity here in SC a c/m left in the white would rust before your eyes especially near the coast.Rick.

Back